HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rd540

2001 XR650r Is this a Decent Deal?

12 posts in this topic

I was in the local Honda dealership today buying chain lube and noticed a 2001 XR650r with a tag bracket on the rear fender, sitting on the showroom floor. They said it was a trade in and they were wanting $2400. It looked about average and had street oriented universal tires mounted. I did not see any obvious signs of abuse. I did not have time today to hear it run , but plan on going back tommorow. Does this price sound reasonable?

That doesn't sound bad at all. If condition is good I'd say that is pretty reasonable.

That's some expensive chain lube....
:confused:

That was my wifes sentiment, plus an extra chain to lube.

Thanks for the respones, I will let you know how it goes.

I was in the local Honda dealership today buying chain lube and noticed a 2001 XR650r with a tag bracket on the rear fender, sitting on the showroom floor. They said it was a trade in and they were wanting $2400. It looked about average and had street oriented universal tires mounted. I did not see any obvious signs of abuse. I did not have time today to hear it run , but plan on going back tommorow. Does this price sound reasonable?

Its good, how many hours/miles?

Well

I brought home my expensive chain lube today. Got a new to me 2001 XR650R

sitting in the garage.:thumbsup: It has a FMF slipon and seems to pop a little on decell.

I wont be working on it right away, there is another project I need to finish and if I start jetting the XR it will be difficult to stop tinkering with the BRP and finish my current project.

Thanks for the advice and all the good info on this board

Congrats on that purchase, you won't be dissapointed.....Just make sure you replace the clutch bearing bushing to 02 or newer,for better lubrication and uncork it......:thumbsup:

replace the clutch bearing bushing

Does that apply to XR600 and XR650L?

Thanks

EarlT

I think 2000 -2001 XR650R only. Improved bushing has extra oil holes & a groove. I changed mine out.

A updated clutch bushing is on my parts list, I am sure to need some jets if the stock carb stays. The better route would be just to go ahead and buy an edlebrock if the wife doesnt protest Since the first trip to the Honda shop for the chain lube when the R was spotted I have been lurking on this forum and spending much time on other 650 sites. (many thanks to BWB63

for his highly informative site:worthy: )

My 16 year old son and I went for a short ride yesterday. He was on my old XT540. I believe his comment was " That thing is sicK" then he proceeded to tell his mother how fast it was:bonk:

Later