1st Post and well met

Hello everyone, first post here, glad to be a part of this community.

I just recently purchased an 08 YZ450F and was looking for any advice or things to look for on a new 4stroke purchase.

Also, I like to ride in the sand, curious as to what paddle tire people run and what you would recommend?

Thanks, and pictures to come soon of the new ride. ?

WW

Make sure you don't have the crankcase breather hose buried in sand while starting your bike. This could happen if your cresting the top of a dune and shut the bike off. Some people have had issues with there engines sucking up sand. You can reroute the hose to the airbox or install a UNI filter on the end of the hose if your worried about it. As long as the engine is running your fine. Just don't start the bike if the hose is submerged in sand, mud, water, etc. Also plug the airbox drain hose to keep the sand out. You can also install a one way check valve off a Honda to keep dirt and water out if you do any deep water crossings with the bike.

TUBE, DRAIN(for 2007 Honda XR650R)$3.23

Part number 17358-HM8-000

Prefilter

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/

http://www.pcracingusa.com/filterskins.php

Uni Breather Filter(Push-In Type)

http://www.unifilter.com/online%20catalog/universal.html

King paddle tire

http://www.kingstire.com/KT-977.htm

> Discard immediately the stock chain and replace it with something more durable. No sense in destroying two sprockets that will otherwise last over a year. If you go out to your garage late at night, turn the lights out, and sit very still, you can hear the stock one stretch. They are that bad.

I recommend the Regina ORN6

> Re-grease the steering head, swing arm, and linkage. The stock lube job is a bit on the light side.

Have fun.

> Discard immediately the stock chain and replace it with something more durable. No sense in destroying two sprockets that will otherwise last over a year. If you go out to your garage late at night, turn the lights out, and sit very still, you can hear the stock one stretch. They are that bad.

I recommend the Regina ORN6

> Re-grease the steering head, swing arm, and linkage. The stock lube job is a bit on the light side.

Have fun.

the 114 would be the correct size right?

Would the ORS6 be a better choice or would you stick with the ORN6. I’m sick of tightening the chain every 2 rides
The ORS6 is stronger than necessary, heavier, and wider, but does use a riveted type master link that some people prefer. IMO, you just don't need it.

My experience with the ORN6 has been extraordinary. My son has now finally brought his rear chain to the point that it is longer than I like to run them (1.5% longer than new) and it's been adjusted 3 or maybe 4 times since it was new in June of '06 (and we ride year-round). It's been on there so long that the top edges of the plates are worn down to the O-rings from the dirt in the lower guide.

Another swap I would suggest are the axle blocks. Put some nice machined billet ones on there. The stock ones are made from extruded bar and are not only a little soft, but force you to run your adjustment screws out longer than they need to be. I found some nice ones made by Outlaw for only $29. They are nicely machined and look to be 6061-T6. They come in a red or blue anodize. They also fit the swing arm groove better (less twist when you tighten the axle). The are designed with a "double D" shaped relief that accepts the axle flange to stop rotation. The stock one has a thin edge that only stops against one side of the axle and tends to bend.... Last but not least, they are engraved with easy to read lines for setting your chain tension and axle alignment.

--RR

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info peeps.. Got a couple rides in, nothing MX yet. Just breaking her in on some local trails.

First thing that happend.. ARM PUMP hehe.. man has it been FOREVER since I have been on a two wheeler.

Hope to get some more seat time soon. Not as young as I once was :confused:. But I think I still have some gas in the tank.