HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crazrider14l

New XR 650R owner

6 posts in this topic

I bought a basket case xr 650r. Every single part was disassembled on this bike. I put a new crank in it, a 11 to 1 JE piston, supposibly it has a reground cam in it (before anyone made a cam for it sent off to power roll) air box carb mods full white bros exhaust new plastic, new tank, 200+ watt stator. I have a few questions for you xr vets...

How noisy is the top end on an xr 650r? mine runs good but makes some noise up top i believe. I am thinking the auto decomp or manual decomp is wore out making it noisy... any pointers?

Also, when I ride this scooter i still feel like i need more power. How effective are those edelbrock carbs? I am used to crf 450s and would like more throttle response so FCR maybe? BTW i will post some pictures of this bad mochine tomorrow.

Thanks in advance....

these bikes are loud.I thought mine was going south when I first got it. They sound like a sewing machine on steroids.

th_newpipe.jpg

How noisy is the top end on an xr 650r? mine runs good but makes some noise up top i believe. I am thinking the auto decomp or manual decomp is wore out making it noisy... any pointers?

Also, when I ride this scooter i still feel like i need more power. How effective are those edelbrock carbs? I am used to crf 450s and would like more throttle response so FCR maybe? BTW i will post some pictures of this bad mochine tomorrow.

RCNUTT is right, the motor is loud. Especially if the stock plastic skid plate is replaced with and Aluminum one. BUT if you think the Auto-decompression is going south (probably not the manual unless the return spring is broken or weak) IT is not necessary and after market Cam's don't come capable of auto decompression. But if you do remove it...plug the oil port that supplies oil to the auto decompression. ALSO keep on top of your valve adjustments! its a regular maintenance item on it, not hard but necessary. And when you do make sure the auto-decompression isn't engaged or it will make your valves out of adjustment!

As far as more power? I'd have to know what your jetting is like and even then I'm not sure what WY Alt is and what is best there but if it is the stock jetting...you will certainly see improvment just swapping needle main and pilot jets (at my Alt in TN but research yours carb config there in WY) BUT keep in mind CRF's have lighter flywheel (depending on if R or X) so will rev quicker but the XRR IS a different beast! They have the torque like know other you will love it and it will impress you but they aren't really comparible. If you want to see discussions about it there are tons comparing them.

But to answer the question. You will get more out of a pumper carb and depending on your tuning history/skills will tell you which one.

The Edelbrock is idiot proof as you may know. one needle and just play with the clicks, and because I will never claim to be a tuning expert thats what I run. Its not as susceptible to alt changes if you ride in a variety. But I know that its not the best there is but to get better you need to stay on the jetting for different locations and temperatures! In my opinion the Edelbrock is worth the bang for the buck and I had my stock carb running perfect!

so play with your jetting, double-check your auto decompression and go out and tear up some tires! (one thing you will notice vs your CRF, more rear tires)

Just my opinions.

JT

Ok, thanks for the advice....

I took the xr out to a riding area for the first time yesterday that ive rode extensively on with a crf 450r with a 500 kit and a cr 250 2 stroke. I cannot believe the hillclimbing power. the suspension soaks up the bumps that bounce you off the hill on a normal bike, and where i had to downshift before, i can upshift. i was totally shocked how good it works.

Also, on the whooped out roads the faster you go the more stable it seemed, unlike my crf.

I was unsure with how fast the bike was, i was riding by myself so i had nothing to guage it from, so i tracked down a kid riding a 2005 450 yamaha.

we drag raced and i smoked him everywhere, BAD. i hooked up off the line, and just drove off and left him. so he got mad, went back to the truck, and grabbed his buddy's 1988 kx 500. he said it had 15/47 gearing. I think i beat him worse than on his 450. He said he was tapped in 5th when i shifted out of 4th gear. I dont know what i have for gearing but it must be pretty fast.

Anyways, it seems like i still need a pumper for throttle response. anyone got any suggestions? anyone have both fcr and edelbrock?

...and because I will never claim to be a tuning expert thats what I run.

LMAO. Me too!

Agree on the noise- sounds like it's coming apart!

Regarding speed- Mine's geared to go ~100MPH, give or take.

Finally, note that fitting the FCR can be a bit of a buttpain- there's interference with both the tank (worse with aftermarket units I believe) and the cam chain tensioner. These are surmountable, but not many people take the time to do it when the Edelbrock is so damned easy.

I have another question for you xr r owners,,,

When i go over a jump on the xr it cuts out before i hit the ground. i am imagining a float level problem but am unsure. it is a bad feeling when you go to panic rev but the motor cuts out. scary....

Advice?