Time for New Tires

After 4 months I have worn my tire down most of the knobbys are cracked and ready to pop off. Plus right now it is flat so a good time to just get a new one.

I am looking for information on which tires you all recomend.

I have the 08 yz450f pretty much stock.

I ride mostly hard pack trails and track in SC. And GA.

I want something that will last a little longer then the stock one did. I still want one that hooks up well, but lasting a long time is more important to me.

I am actually surprised It has worn down as much as it has. I don't race and I don't go crazy (too much) spinning.

I know the stock one is a little wider then most. What is better the wider or the narrower ones and why? I don't know if it matters but the front one is stock and does fine for me.

Thanks guys for any help

Kristy.

SoCal is the toughest place to pick tires for, I think. Like Indiana, it runs a range. But we go from hard pack that is so hard it gets rubber marks to blow sand, to gravel of every size, rocks, etc. But we don't get any loam unless someone makes it or imports it. Picking tires is a compromise almost no matter where you ride around here.

I'm in Northern Ca and the 756 is the way to go for me. I tried a 952 and its pretty wornout after about a month of ride time. Plus it never felt as good as the 756. The 952 is more unstable in the coners. Back to the 756. It does depend greatly on what you ride but the 756 is a great all around tire.

After 4 months I have worn my tire down most of the knobbys are cracked and ready to pop off. Plus right now it is flat so a good time to just get a new one.

I am looking for information on which tires you all recomend.

I have the 08 yz450f pretty much stock.

I ride mostly hard pack trails and track in SC. And GA.

I want something that will last a little longer then the stock one did. I still want one that hooks up well, but lasting a long time is more important to me.

I am actually surprised It has worn down as much as it has. I don't race and I don't go crazy (too much) spinning.

I know the stock one is a little wider then most. What is better the wider or the narrower ones and why? I don't know if it matters but the front one is stock and does fine for me.

Thanks guys for any help

Kristy.

4 months is soooo long. I guess its all about perspective though. I love dunlop 756's but they don't last so lately I've been using maxxis IT's they take a bit to wear in which was really weird to me, but they seem to hook up real well. I am unaware of what the 952's cost but I think the IT's are less if cost is important to you. I think you would really be happy with either one though.

Anyone had much luck with the 952 front tire?

My son uses the 952 front and is happy enough with it that he won't try another tire. I works well in a very wide range of soil types, and holds up exceptionally well in rocks, etc. I think the 755 is a better sand tire, but the 952 is great all around.
I am unaware of what the 952's cost but I think the IT's are less if cost is important to you.
Shop around. I get 952 rears for less than what the Maxxis sells for. The 952 wears at least as well, bites better, and corners much better.

i still have the stock front tire on my 07, and i have a 120/90/19 maxxis it and i'll tell you that since you ride in alot of hardpack don't get a maxxis it, if we pop out on fireroads that bike will slide all over the place, kind of a pain, but in the softer stuff its a dream.

...and as heavy as a tire and a half. ?

you say that as if a big old 450 will have trouble turning it over, i doubt it'd have trouble spinning a teraflex to the moon.

I recently switched from a Michilen S-12 front to a Dunlop 756 front. I really like that Dunlop on the front. I'm still running a Maxxis IT for the rear, but I think I'll try the 952 next.

That's funny, I tried a 756 front instead of my usual S-12 and could not get it off the rim fast enough! Different strokes...

I just ordered a 742FA to try out.

Thanks guys for all the help on which tires.

I forget most are out west. SC, GA doesn't have dirt per say it is red clay and packs down as hard as cement sometimes with "Blue Groove" Turns black / blue from all the rubber on it. (So much fun with a small sprinkle of rain) NOT.

Now about the width. Is there really a big difference? Turning is not my strong point so anything that makes turning harder I want to shy away from. It has been too many years since I have ridden anything besides this bike so I don't remember the characteristics of the narrower tires. I have not had an issue that I know of but then again I have nothing to compare too.

Is 4 months really a long time? How quick do some of you guys go through tires? (when not racing every week) For reference I only ride on average 2 to 3 times per month. My BF says I ride like a "girlie guy". I think that means slow for a guy, fast for a girl. I don't know, neither does he (he rides a quad). ? I just have fun. :eek:

Kristy I also ride a lot of hardpack tracks here in Ga. If you ride mostly hardpack and not a lot of softer loamy tracks I recommend the Michelin Starcross MH3. These tires will give you a least 3-6times the wear the stock tires will give or just about anything else with great hook up. But if like me you run hardpack summer typically and softer to loamy tracks fall winter/spring, I recommend the Michelin Starcross MS3 as these tires will last much longer than the stockers and get you excellent traction in dry, wet and hard and loam. I have not found a dunlop tire that last more than a few rides here in the SE. The 756 is good only for 1 ride and then it is toast as is the 756RR. The other dunlops just do not offer that good of a abite for the terrain here. There are a few that also like Bridgestones here but I do not use them and can not tell you the better ones to consider. I do not ride trails but my recommendation would be either a MS3 or MH3 they are that much better:thumbsup: