Engine temperature range

If I were to place a temp strip on the motor, what temperature range would be considered normal to overheating? Does the same temperature range apply for the clutch? 07'yz450.

Let me explain. Since I purchased my 07'450 and installed a Rekluse, the clutch cover gets so hot I can't keep my foot against it. I also have a 250 2 strk with the same set up and although I can feel a little heat through my boot, it is nowhere near as hot as the 450. I dont feel any unusual clutch slippage compared to my 250 and the 450 dosn't seem to be overheating, loosing fluid or anything (everything seems fine). I use to have a crf450 and never noticed the clutch cover that hot but I also wore thicker boots back then (tech 8's). I want to make sure I am not cooking my clutch so I figured I could put one of those temperature strips on there just to make sure but I need to know what the proper running temps are and what would be considered to hot.

Using a 50/50 mix of EG coolant and water under 16 psi, the coolant temperature is too high at around 265-270 F. The head temperature should not be allowed to exceed about 350 F, but if there's water in the engine, even boiling water, there is no place where you can pick up the temperature of the head dome from.

Oil must be at least kept below its flash point. For most good synthetics this is somewhere upward of 480 degrees F, though. Serious oxidization can start to occur in many oils at around 450, and even lower in most non-synthetics. Then, too, if the oil is that hot, what heated it up? 300-350 is about as hot as the clutch cover should ever be allowed to get.

Your Rekluse may be heating your clutch up higher than in your old 2T because you have a higher 1st gear in the YZF or because you use too high a gear too much of the time, or because your engagement point is set too high.

Using a 50/50 mix of EG coolant and water under 16 psi, the coolant temperature is too high at around 265-270 F. The head temperature should not be allowed to exceed about 350 F, but if there's water in the engine, even boiling water, there is no place where you can pick up the temperature of the head dome from.

Oil must be at least kept below its flash point. For most good synthetics this is somewhere upward of 480 degrees F, though. Serious oxidization can start to occur in many oils at around 450, and even lower in most non-synthetics. Then, too, if the oil is that hot, what heated it up? 300-350 is about as hot as the clutch cover should ever be allowed to get.

Your Rekluse may be heating your clutch up higher than in your old 2T because you have a higher 1st gear in the YZF or because you use too high a gear too much of the time, or because your engagement point is set too high.

Thank you, that gives me some numbers to work with .... I will put the temp strip on the clutch cover and see where I'm at. As far as the auto clutch goes I have the engagement point set very low (light spring w/3 threads showing). I would expect things to heat up a little if I were running a gear high and slipping it but this is not the case. Hopefully I am wrong and it is running at the correct temp.