What's next for Honda?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's Honda got planned to replace the 650L?

I know no one works in Honda's R&D...I'm just wondering if there's been any talk made public?

Nothing but speculation is what I've heard. I was just talking to my dealer about this a few days ago. 2009 is American Honda's 50th anniversary and there has been talk that Honda is planning some surprises. I asked my dealer about this and he didn't know any details, but he did say that their sales rep told them that there won't be any 09's available until September of this year. Usually they start releasing some of the new models in July and August. Honda is very tight lipped about any new releases and we'll probably not find out anything until the first of September. Until then then can only dream of the new CRF700X in both enduro and sumo versions with a magic button and a 6 speed tranny. ?

Nothing but speculation is what I've heard. I was just talking to my dealer about this a few days ago. 2009 is American Honda's 50th anniversary and there has been talk that Honda is planning some surprises. I asked my dealer about this and he didn't know any details, but he did say that their sales rep told them that there won't be any 09's available until September of this year. Usually they start releasing some of the new models in July and August. Honda is very tight lipped about any new releases and we'll probably not find out anything until the first of September. Until then then can only dream of the new CRF700X in both enduro and sumo versions with a magic button and a 6 speed tranny. ?

That would be SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!!

Although, is a 6th gear really necessary? I mean, the bike will already do 100+...

Yeah, its necessary... :eek:

A CRF700X? Street Legal? Forget it!!! They'd have to down-tune the heck out of it, probably more than they did with the 650L just to get it to pass CARB Specs. The 650L is borderline big enough for the dirt anyways. Geeze, take the KTM 950 Super Enduro R, that thing looks like a tractor on 2 wheels. With a catalytic converter? Unless you plan on using it strictly for competition, you'd have to have more money than brains to buy one of those elephants.

haha.....this is a funny thread for me especially!

I had a job interview with Honda R&D for a motorcycle research analyst position. I told them I had the guaranteed top selling piece on my mind......the street legal 450X. I had it totally planned out and presented it when they asked "How can you bring success to the company through this division?"

I never got a call back after the thank you letter and the email.

NOTHING is next for Honda my friends!

2009 is American Honda's 50th anniversary and there has been talk that Honda is planning some surprises.
Maybe some sick new quads!! ( ? ) Or some totally bad-A metric cruisers!!! :eek:
NOTHING is next for Honda my friends!

hahah I've been saying this for years now! Santa Clause is dead my friends!!!

Actually, Honda is in the business of making a profit. That is the ONLY reason for it's existense. Building and selling bikes is the way they have chosen to make their profit. The less it costs them to build their products the more it goes to improving their bottom line.

Many years ago in Canada, the operation known as the Canadian Pacific Railroad was in financial trouble. What they eventually realized was that they were not in business to run a railroad but to transport people and freight. Once they understood their place in the universe, they purchased airplanes to augment the railroad and have been more profitable.

So you will not get what you all want, you will get what Honda can make a large profit on.

Actually, Honda is in the business of making a profit. That is the ONLY reason for it's existense. Building and selling bikes is the way they have chosen to make their profit. The less it costs them to build their products the more it goes to improving their bottom line.

Many years ago in Canada, the operation known as the Canadian Pacific Railroad was in financial trouble. What they eventually realized was that they were not in business to run a railroad but to transport people and freight. Once they understood their place in the universe, they purchased airplanes to augment the railroad and have been more profitable.

So you will not get what you all want, you will get what Honda can make a large profit on.

Exactly! We all have our Honda hopes and dreams, but the bottom line is Honda sales dominate the market each year. Until their sales start to decline, they have no real incentive to develop new products. They do a little here and there each year, but I doubt we'll ever see Honda coming out with new models every few years. The already own the largest part of the market share and have not much to gain by doing so.

With all that said, I do believe a new big bore dual sport is on the horizon. The 650L needs updating and the R went away. And, in all actuality, they could do this without a lot of development expense. There are already models to fill this niche in other countries and they just need to be qualified for the U.S.

but and keep this in mind. they did come out with a CRF230L. Why? and why the lil CRF? I dunno, so they have weird streaks.. and that being said who knows what lurks in thier corporate mindset. Whatever bring $$$$ to the table is the most important thing. Actually satisfying the needs or wants of riders is OBE. They do costly studies I am sure that supposedly tells them what the American rider wants. It is nothing we have in mind. They also have to keep up with thier competition, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki, but even that is not much to them as they trust people will that bought honda before will again. I also think Honda is just too big for the britches, they make cars too and more profit is seen there, bikes have become a sideline.

There's a strong movement in this country by our politicians to ban Motorcycles. Now, Honda has bigger markets with less regulation than here in North America so they have put us on the back burner.

With a recession looming it could be awhile before we see new offerings from Honda.

I remember a while back my old man bought an old 1970's Suzuki TS185 that was street legal from the factory (he bought it new) and it ended up costing a bit more money than usual. This was because of the Tarrifs put on the forign bikes. That might be one reason that Honda doesn't make more street legal bikes. ?

This topic has kinda been beaten to death elsewhere...... BUT SERIOUSLY!!!!! W.T.F IS GOING ON IN THE U.S.?!?!?!?!?!

I see a lot of bullsh|t going on throughout our country thats eroding ways of life....and its crap like this thats just a swift kick square in the nut-sack!! ?

2008-XT660Z-Tenere-colour-khaki_tcm39-211034.jpg

ASI650_SM1.jpg

xr400enduro.jpg

502_p.jpg

xl700v8_3b.jpg

08KLX250V8F_BLK-b.jpg

488_p.jpg

ASI650_Enduro1.jpg

2008-XT660X-colour-blue_tcm39-208869.jpg

There's a strong movement in this country by our politicians to ban Motorcycles. Now, Honda has bigger markets with less regulation than here in North America so they have put us on the back burner.

With a recession looming it could be awhile before we see new offerings from Honda.

I forgot to add their influenced by the insurance lobby to ban bikes.