New Bike ...Lots of questions and pics....

So i bought a 2005 RM 250 tonight. So now i have a 2 stroke and a four stroke.I know this is a yamaha section but my questions relate to my yz426f that i bought about a month ago. I have seen several Suzuki's with red wheels on them and my 426 has red wheels that i really want to get rid of.so my first questions are...

1. Is there any way to swap the rims/wheels out on the two bikes?

2. The rear tire on the suzuki is a 120/90/19 and the rear on the 426 is a 110/90/19. Does this means the rims are different sizes.

3. The 426 came with a gold pro taper handle bars that i think would look better on the RM250. Can i swap out the bars as well?

4. What do you guys think of the new bike???

2005SuzukiRM2501.jpg

2005SuzukiRM2502.jpg

2005SuzukiRM250and2002YZ426F1.jpg

2005SuzukiRM250and2002YZ426F2.jpg

2005SuzukiRM250and2002YZ426F3.jpg

So i bought a 2005 RM 250 tonight. So now i have a 2 stroke and a four stroke.I know this is a yamaha section but my questions relate to my yz426f that i bought about a month ago. I have seen several Suzuki's with red wheels on them and my 426 has red wheels that i really want to get rid of.so my first questions are...

1. Is there any way to swap the rims/wheels out on the two bikes?

Yes. You can pull off the entire wheel & tire and pull the tire off, put on whatever one you want. Switch the sprocket also.

2. The rear tire on the suzuki is a 120/90/19 and the rear on the 426 is a 110/90/19. Does this means the rims are different sizes.

No. That means the rims are the same, but the 120 tire is 10mm wider than the 110. You can still use it.

3. The 426 came with a gold pro taper handle bars that i think would look better on the RM250. Can i swap out the bars as well?

Yes. That is very easy. Your RM250 already has Renthal Fatbars on it, so you wont need new bar mounts. Just disassemble both sets and switch.

4. What do you guys think of the new bike???

Your new bike looks great. Have fun... dont smoke too much. ?

2005SuzukiRM2501.jpg

2005SuzukiRM2502.jpg

2005SuzukiRM250and2002YZ426F1.jpg

2005SuzukiRM250and2002YZ426F2.jpg

2005SuzukiRM250and2002YZ426F3.jpg

BTW, just out of curiosity what made you want to get a RM250? I used to be a Suzuki guy myself....

the fact that i got what i believed to be a good deal and the fact that the bike looked brand new other then some rash on the seat. Also when i hiped on the first two stroke i have ridden in about 8 years. It felt like old times on my first couple of 125's i had. SO light and crisp.

BTW, just out of curiosity what made you want to get a RM250? I used to be a Suzuki guy myself....

the fact that i got what i believed to be a good deal and the fact that the bike looked brand new other then some rash on the seat. Also when i hiped on the first two stroke i have ridden in about 8 years. It felt like old times on my first couple of 125's i had. SO light and crisp.

thats cool. I want to get back on a 250 smoker sometime soon... prolly not buy one but I would like to ride one again. Its been awhile. It does look pretty low hour. congrats.

thanks man. My first bike was a yz 125 when i was about 14. I had a couple 125's (1990 cr 125 and 1996 yz 125) and sold both of those when i was 16 to give my parents for a down payment on a nice truck they bought me. Well, here i am at 19 years old and i realized how much i missed it and i finally had enough money(from busting my ass) to buy a yz400f. I bought that one back in october and sold it to upgrade around early febuary of this year. I bought my 2002 426 not even two days after i sold the 1999 400. then i came across the rm and couldnt pass it up. Its weird how when i was 125's the only four stroke i knew of was the xr. Now that i have a 2 stroke again, im not sure which one i like better. Ill probably have to sell one , b/c i just about emptied my savings account for the rm and probably wont be able to afford to keep and maintain both bikes.

You can swap out the rims as long as the spoke holes are angled the same. You would have to dissasemble each rim and then lace them up. The bars will work on either bike. If the 426 has the oversize bar adapters on it, then you can probably just use those on the 250. But if the 426 has a top clamp made for oversize bars, you will need to buy some adapters or a new top clamp for the 250. Let us know how it goes.

You can lace your YZ rims to your RM hubs and vice versa. They both have 36 spokes and are interchangable. The RM front hub will work on your 2002 426 with 01 426 wheel spacers. It is the same hub as 99-01 YZ's used. You will have to use your YZ hub on the rear. You would be better off using your 02 front hub, as it is stronger. Hope this helps.

man, did not even see it. Thanks for the help. Now that i know it will work i may dive into it. Do you guys think the red wheels will look better on the rm or should i leave them on the yzf? I love how clean the RM is and dont want to ruin the look of it with the red wheels.

Your questions were answered in the second post.

To clarify the answer to the first question, the tires will fit, the wheels are not interchangeable.

take the tires off or delace the rim and hub? You could probably manage the tire but a motorcycle shop would be best suited for the delacing and relacing procedure. They have to be perfect or it will wear out your bearings and hub

? ok, can some one clarify for me.

So far what i get is it can be done. I will need to use the red hoops and spokes(front and back) on the Rm hubs(front and back)?This means i will need to use the RM hoops and spokes(front and back) on the YZ hubs(font and back)? Is this what i need to do?

You can lace your YZ rims to your RM hubs and vice versa. They both have 36 spokes and are interchangable. The RM front hub will work on your 2002 426 with 01 426 wheel spacers. It is the same hub as 99-01 YZ's used. You will have to use your YZ hub on the rear. You would be better off using your 02 front hub, as it is stronger. Hope this helps.

oh, and how much does that usually run? I figured that would be the easy part.

take the tires off or delace the rim and hub? You could probably manage the tire but a motorcycle shop would be best suited for the delacing and relacing procedure. They have to be perfect or it will wear out your bearings and hub

yes that's correct red rims to Suzuki hubs plain rims to yz hubs. Lacing is pretty tough and I think its about 100 bucks a wheel depending on where you go but iam not positive, that's just what I've been quoted and iam still running the stock rims

uh oh...in that case they might be staying where they are for the mean time.lol...?

yes that's correct red rims to Suzuki hubs plain rims to yz hubs. Lacing is pretty tough and I think its about 100 bucks a wheel depending on where you go but iam not positive, that's just what I've been quoted and iam still running the stock rims