HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ysr50speed

Need Advice....To do a fork swap or not

13 posts in this topic

So I been searching on doing the usd fork swap and can't figure out if I should. It will be for my 94 xr6r. Its street legal and still do a lot of street riding. I have the money to either to the swap or I and just upgrade the oem suspension. What do you guys think. Its it really worth it?

Worth it???? I think so. Im very happy w/USD frt end. If you do your homework, It wont cost you too much. I got my front end complete for 350.00 shipped. Theyre def out there

019-1.jpg

So I been searching on doing the usd fork swap and can't figure out if I should. It will be for my 94 xr6r. Its street legal and still do a lot of street riding. I have the money to either to the swap or I and just upgrade the oem suspension. What do you guys think. Its it really worth it?

i also have a 94 XR600R.I swap my complete front for a 2004 KTM LC4 SM.I only do street riding.i cant tell you if its better or not cause i havent finish yeat the bike but in looks it beats without a chance.

If your steering bearings and races are good you only have to machine the KTM stem to fit XR bearings and make yourself a 1mm Nylon or Aluminium shim to fit the top triple clamp.I made a nylon shim.And a 2mm shim between upper clamp and bearing upper seal.

In the end was quite simple.I have only done this swap cause i didnt pay the KTM suspension. The deal was with a friend. Parts were from ebay.:thumbsup:

2004887833400728706_rs.jpg

Clamps with new forks 350 $ is sweet

But lets consider the chance it doesn't bolt on and those headaches.

Will the forks be set up for your weight? if not your rite back at having to set the new forks up correctly .

My advice send your forks to a suspension guru and save all the headaches

I don't mind sending away from my suspension but if I have to send one to someone I rather send the usd forks. Unless the oem fork setup is worth the less leadaches. Maybe I will just do the stock suspension and wait till I get a deal on some usd setup and work on it slowly.

Clamps with new forks 350 $ is sweet

But lets consider the chance it doesn't bolt on and those headaches.

Will the forks be set up for your weight? if not your rite back at having to set the new forks up correctly .

My advice send your forks to a suspension guru and save all the headaches

...this is where doing your homework comes into play. I used a 90-91 CR500 fork for my conversion, which pretty much bolt-on. The forks had been revalved already for 170lbs rider (Im 150lbs), and was complete w/axle/spacer/bearings/caliper/cal bkt etc. All I bought after was a CR frt wheel 'cause I changed to Excels. Otherwise, the XR ft wheel worked w/early frt end (17mm axle). YOu just cant use the odometer drive, which I replaced w/my Garmin GPS. Works Good

Alright well I found a 97 complete front end that I am going to pick up tomorrow. Its to good of a deal to pass up. Can I use the cr or xr wheels? What about brakes? Also can I press the xr stem into the lower to make it fit? Thanks for all the help.

Alright well I'm going back and forth....I made up my mind now. I am going to skip on the usd forks and put the money into stock forks, get some excel rims and a stabalizer.

Wait a second I am bidding on that one and have plans and $$ on winning it. I will have a complete set of 03 forks, tripple etc for sale here shortly though. :thumbsup:

What are USD forks?

thanks

EarlT

Upside down . Usually off of a CR/CRF bike, and adapted to the XR.