10 hour tune up

Well this being my first 4 stroke in about 15 years I decided to have the stealership go threw the 10 hour inspection. I had a little over 10 hours(no hour meter yet) and no valves needed adjusting. Only issue they found was oil under the dust cap, they replaced the seal and everything seems to be running just great. I’ve seen friends check their valves themselves and looks easy enough...but being my first 4 stroke I felt more comfortable bringing it back to Yamaha to see what they said.

On a side note- I was figuring some valves would need adjusting because the first 4 hours on the bike weren’t the easiest but im glad everything is in top notch shape for the time being. :thumbsup:

Oil under the dust cap? Dust cap for the valves?:thumbsup:

Do you like the 450 more than the 2-smoker?

Oil under the dust cap? Dust cap for the valves?:thumbsup:

Do you like the 450 more than the 2-smoker?

dust cap for the front fork, i dont know what one was having the problem but i wouldnt have caught it untill i saw it leaking down. The shop goes over alot of different things...they changed the oil filter adjusted the chain...all the things I should be doing on a regular basis, which i do for the most part but sometimes I get lazy.

the comment if i like the 4stroke over the 2 smoke.

Ive rode 2 stokes for most of my riding days. I love a 2stroke for trails and woods..just about everything but track...the 450 on the track is a dream...my only gripe is the weight in the air...but ive only been riding MX tracks for about 6 months. The power and smoothness of the 4stroke makes me look and feel like a better track rider by far.

yea get used to cleaning under the oem fork seal caps...yami thinks that this is normal maint

What I recommend is not using the OEM seals. Use the replacements from MSR or the seals for an '04 YZ450 instead and they will last much longer.

What I recommend is not using the OEM seals. Use the replacements from MSR or the seals for an '04 YZ450 instead and they will last much longer.

Thanks for the good info Gray, I guess in the next 10-15 hours ill check under the dust cap for leaking and go from there.

You should pull the dust seals down, clean out between the dust and oil seal, and apply a bead of grease between the two every second ride if you ride in dry area, or every ride if you ride in the mud.

I miss the good ole days as a kid when oil and air filters laster forever and bikes only lasted a few years :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips...looks like im need to drop them down and clean them...Im lucky to get out twice a week to ride, so a weekly clean/greasing sounds like the plan for me

I miss the good ole days as a kid when oil and air filters laster forever
In the "good ol' days" there were no oil filters. Air filters A) didn't stop dust very well, :thumbsup: didn't let air through very well, and C) usually went until they plugged up.

The typical 500cc four stroke MX bike carried at least 2 full quarts of engine oil in addition to completely separate supplies of trans oil and primary chain oil. They had about 4" of suspension travel, produced about 36-40 hp at around 6,000 rpm and weighed between 290-330 pounds. They would last about half as long as a YZ450 without major engine work.

Interesting, My last 4stroke was a 1980 xr80 it was prabably 1995 . I was around 12, never changed the oil and dont remember even knowing about a air filter. I was lucky to get 3 years out of the bike now that I look back.

My last 4stroke was a 1980 xr80 it was prabably 1995 . I was around 12, ...
I was talking about the mid 1960's, when I was around 16, and bikes like a Matchless G80cs, or a BSA Goldstar DB34.

An XR80 was a whole different thing, and was basically an industrial implement engine adapted to a playbike. Indestructible, yes, but not really comparable.

Wow Gray, thoughs bikes really put things in perspective when you look how far bikes in general have came. The two bikes you named look like they would be hell on ones back. I did a Google search and was surprised to see that the bikes looked like "classic" road bikes. It's starting to make sense why you are the one to get info from, seems you have been around the off road industry for a while...TT is lucky to have you and your input on their boards.

It's starting to make sense why you are the one to get info from, seems you have been around the off road industry for a while...TT is lucky to have you and your input on their boards.

Yeah, we tolerate him around here...he comes up with some good info every now and then. :thumbsup: