Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
konadog

excessive oil coming from cylinder head breather

5 posts in this topic

I posted a thread a while back thinking there was coolant coming out of the cylinder head breather but found out that under the skid plate coolant drips from the overflow was mixing with this oil coming from the breather tube. I drained the oil as suggested and it was as clean as when I changed it. I fill my oil to the proper level and after riding(lots of oil dripping during the ride) I'm down about half a quart! The oil level is off the dipstick! My buddy that I ride with says there's no smoke from my exhaust.

Can anyone point me in the right direction???? Thanks. 99 yz400

I think I found my answer. I did some more searching and found similiar topic. I obviously overfilling my oil as I have been checking it cold. That's why I'm a newbie!

We were all newbies once! Good that you found your answer searching. There is so much information on here that you can spend countless hours researching stuff.

I buy my oil by the gallon so trying to measure out the correct amount can sometimes be a pain. Nalgene makes a 32oz bottle with milliliter graduations down the side. For the the YZ400F you need 1.5 liter if you pull the oil filter. 900ml+600ml and you have exactly 1.5L in the bike. No need to warm the bike up to operating temp to check the oil level. Just make sure when you do an oil change that your removing both the crackcase drain plug and frame oil tank drain plug this will get 1.4L out. Changing the filter gets the extra .1L out.

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=59

I think I found my answer. I did some more searching and found similiar topic. I obviously overfilling my oil as I have been checking it cold. That's why I'm a newbie!

we all make mistakes...I paniced about the same thing once...but don't tell anyone:busted: