HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan_187

Can I anodize stock YZ triple clamps

6 posts in this topic

I want blue clamps on my 06 YZ 450, but i don't want aftermarket ones. Can I get that material anodized to that nice blue? Has anyone done that and where can I get it done?

If the 06 clamps are like my 08 they are castings and have the raw cast finish. You can anodize a cast finish but it won't give you the same shiny look and color as machined billet (wrought) material. --RR

Anodizing a cast part often fails. You end up with a blotchy finish. This is due to the way the metals in the casting flow in the mold. A billet piece of metal has the same issues but the outer areas are machined away, providing a purer material.

If you were to blast, sand, and polish it first; the anodizing might look pretty a bit better. I think it is still a risk.

powdercoating is the way to go. pc'ed the triple clamps on my DRZ and they came out great. I did them in a candy red that looks very close to red anodizing.

IMG_1526.jpg

here's a pic of my yZ shock linkage i pc'ed in a translucent gold:

IMG_1848.jpg

it does take some prep work if you're gonna do a tanslucent color right over the bare metal like i did with the gold - you need to file down all the casting seams first, then wet sand the whole thing with progressively finer sandpaper to about 1500 grit. easier is to do a 2 stage pc - layer of chrome pc, followed by the candy or translucent color. Still need to file the casting seams, but after that you can just sandblast it. that's what i did with the triple clamps

one more note - i do all my baking at 300 degrees. i have read some reports that the aluminum can become more brittle if subjected to heat of over 350 degrees or so. i, nor any powdercoaters i have spoke to have ever heard of a problem, and the professional pc'ers usually bake everything at about 400 to save time. But, i figure, why take a chance - just bake at a lower temp for a little longer.

now if you wanna do a blue anodized look, they also make a candy blue powdercoat. I did all the suspension pieces on my truck with the candy blue. note how similar the blue pc is to the anodized shock resevior clamps

IMG_1466.jpg