Rear Wheel/Hub Interchangeability

I'm trying to help out a friend, who for the 2nd time on his 2006 WR450 had the rear sprocket bolts loosen and shear out of the hub (*make sure you periodically check torque*). I was hoping to pick up an entire rear wheel assembly off of e-bay, but haven't seen any.

:thumbsup: Are the hubs to WR450's specific to that bike, or are most bikes interchangeable? My hope if it is possible is to pick up an entire rear wheel assy cheap off e-bay and just add a new sprocket.

Thanks ahead of time for any insight anyone has to share

Doug

I'm trying to help out a friend, who for the 2nd time on his 2006 WR450 had the rear sprocket bolts loosen and shear out of the hub (*make sure you periodically check torque*). I was hoping to pick up an entire rear wheel assembly off of e-bay, but haven't seen any.

:thumbsup: Are the hubs to WR450's specific to that bike, or are most bikes interchangeable? My hope if it is possible is to pick up an entire rear wheel assy cheap off e-bay and just add a new sprocket.

Thanks ahead of time for any insight anyone has to share

Doug

I don't know about other brands, but the rear wheel from my 99 WR 400 fits perfectly on my 2007 WR 450, disc and all. The hub looks identicalThe front wheel is a tiny bit different, but with a quick 5 minute bearing and seal swap the 99 front wheel fit on the 07.

I'm pretty sure all the wr rear wheels are the same, i bought a set of yz450 2004, on ebay and they fir my 2001 wr426, with different spacers for the front because of the speedo drive but you can get them on ebay cheep too. i'm pretty sure the yz hub is the same as the wr just the rim is a 19

I'm pretty sure all the wr rear wheels are the same, i bought a set of yz450 2004, on ebay and they fir my 2001 wr426, with different spacers for the front because of the speedo drive but you can get them on ebay cheep too. i'm pretty sure the yz hub is the same as the wr just the rim is a 19

Hi Doc

The older front wheels required a different spacer because of the speedo drive, from YZ to WR. The front wheel on my 07 has a bearing in a different position than my 99 400, closer to the outer edge of the hub. The seal is also larger. The spacer inside the hub of the 07 front wheel is longer than the 99, so simply switching speedo drive/spacer won't work. The new bearing sits close to the edge of the hub, the 99 bearing is recessed farther in.

I just popped my 99 wheel on my 07 last night, and had to pop the bearing and seal from the 07 wheel and pop it into the 99 wheel. They came out very easy. The new bearing and seal went in right beside the original bearing in my 99 wheel, so now I have 2 bearings on the speedo side of my wheel.