XR650L best full system pipe

Need a bit of advice.

I'm a DRZ owner so that means I intuitively no nothing about XR650L's

A friend of mine here in Cambodia just bought a low milage 2005 XR650L

He wants to replace the stock exhaust system with a performance pipe, presumably a full system ??, with jets and/or jetting info.

Motor is stock

Whats popular these days and is there a general consensus on which pipe gives the most increase in power (similar to DRZérs agreeing that Yosh full system provides best power for the Z)

I have searched a bit but couldnt find anything conclusive although the full system with jets from XR's only looks like an easy option

A racer buddy (holds several regional championships too) swears by Yosh and claims that their systems can be counted on to make the most horsepower. He can usually be trusted for good information. I'm not sure if Yosh even makes a pipe for the 650L though.

I hear a lot of people raving about the various White Brothers systems and I like the sound of a buddy's FMF Q2 also.

A racer buddy (holds several regional championships too) swears by Yosh and claims that their systems can be counted on to make the most horsepower. He can usually be trusted for good information. I'm not sure if Yosh even makes a pipe for the 650L though.

I hear a lot of people raving about the various White Brothers systems and I like the sound of a buddy's FMF Q2 also.

I read somewhere that yosh dont make a full system for the 650L

Are the white bro's or FMF full system or slip ons ?

Are people normally just getting an aftermarket can and keeping the stock header?

1.) I read somewhere that yosh dont make a full system for the 650L

2.) Are the white bro's or FMF full system or slip ons ?

3.) Are people normally just getting an aftermarket can and keeping the stock header?

1.) Yohimura doesn't make the aircooled XR pipes anymore, at least no the headers. Fortunately the guy I got my 600 from already had the full Yoshi system on it when he sold it to me. ?

2.) I don't know about White Bros. I just tried to go to their site and it says that Vance & Hines bought them out or something with no other info.

FMF, on the other hand, does definitely make two models of header for the 600/650L.

3.) Yeah, a lot of people do that. However, a full exhaust system will complement future power upgrades without really hurting performance on a stock engine in the mean time.

I went to the FMF site and searched XR650L

It seems they make a "Q2" muffler and powerbomb or highflow header for the 650L

Price is comparable to XR only full system

Can anyone tell me which one offers best performance and why ?

I've found a few places selling the White Brothers E2 slip-on for $320 ish. Not the full system that you are looking for, but I'd have to think that the performance gains are still noticeable, the experts here can weigh in on full system vs slip-on. I'm getting set to do Dave's Mods, thought I'd leave the exhaust stock, but may go with a slip-on and jet for that right off the bat.

I went to the FMF site and searched XR650L

It seems they make a "Q2" muffler and powerbomb or highflow header for the 650L

Price is comparable to XR only full system

Can anyone tell me which one offers best performance and why ?

Hmmm. Well, I can't comment on XR's only's headers.

But I sure can comment on FMF's headers. They are, without a doubt in my mind GARBAGE, GARBAGE, GARBAGE. I bought 2 sets of Hi-Flo headers from them and both, BOTH, of them leaked, right out of the box. Plus, they looked like crap with those big, sluggy lookin MIG welds. You'd think with the $240 price tag they'd TIG weld them and make them look a lot better AND have better QC than to let some go by that leaked. As far as the Power Bomb, heh, their so-called innovation is nothing more than a marketing gimick.

The only thing that this design will do is quiet the exhaust down a few decibels. I sincerely doubt that this "Power Bomb" helps the engine produce any significant increase in performance throughout any part of the powerband. Another thing about FMF that really irritated me was that it took them almost 3 months, after I sent them back, to refund my money.

After that poor experience with FMF, I didn't want to go through any simular experience with any other company, including XR's only(may they forgive me) so I made my own.

I've found a few places selling the White Brothers E2 slip-on for $320 ish. Not the full system that you are looking for, but I'd have to think that the performance gains are still noticeable, the experts here can weigh in on full system vs slip-on. I'm getting set to do Dave's Mods, thought I'd leave the exhaust stock, but may go with a slip-on and jet for that right off the bat.

Thats a normal price for that. You will definately notice it with just a slip on. You can save a little cash by grinding the header welds down on the stock head pipe. If you just do daves mods and not the exhaust, you wont notice a whole lot of difference. Also remove the snorkel.

Hmmm. Well, I can't comment on XR's only's headers.

But I sure can comment on FMF's headers. They are, without a doubt in my mind GARBAGE, GARBAGE, GARBAGE. I bought 2 sets of Hi-Flo headers from them and both, BOTH, of them leaked, right out of the box. Plus, they looked like crap with those big, sluggy lookin MIG welds. You'd think with the $240 price tag they'd TIG weld them and make them look a lot better AND have better QC than to let some go by that leaked. As far as the Power Bomb, heh, their so-called innovation is nothing more than a marketing gimick.

The only thing that this design will do is quiet the exhaust down a few decibels. I sincerely doubt that this "Power Bomb" helps the engine produce any significant increase in performance throughout any part of the powerband. Another thing about FMF that really irritated me was that it took them almost 3 months, after I sent them back, to refund my money.

After that poor experience with FMF, I didn't want to go through any simular experience with any other company, including XR's only(may they forgive me) so I made my own.

sorry to hear about your bad experience with FMF

I'm running the powerbomb and Q muffler on my DRZ, no issues at all

Perhaps you got a bad batch ?

Anyway, back to the XR650L, and what seems to be the current FULL system options

:Staintune (bit pricy)

:FMF

:XR's only

Is the XR's ONLY full system obnoxiously loud ?

Does running a quiet tip defeat the purpose ?

I know FMF Q's are not too noisy

Any ideas of HP increase over stock (for XR's only and FMF full systems)assumming correct rejetting ?

XR's only pipe. I run the insert and still notice some good pop. Without the insert it is louder but not crazy loud. The insert lowers it to below 96 and without it is somewhere around 101db. I would buy it again.

regarding the WB E2 slip on

:I assume WB dont make a header pipe for the XR650L ?

:What size jets do I need for an E2 slip on, stock header and motor, K&N air filter that fits in standard airbox, snorkel removed ?

regarding the WB E2 slip on

:I assume WB dont make a header pipe for the XR650L ?

:What size jets do I need for an E2 slip on, stock header and motor, K&N air filter that fits in standard airbox, snorkel removed ?

No. To the best of my knowledge WB never even made a header for the 650L. For the R yes, for a short period of time. Also, WB, a.k.a White Brothers, is no longer in business. But, there are reports that Vance & Hines is in the process of buying the manufacturing and marketing rights for WB's exhaust systems. So, who knows, maybe there will be another manufacturer of headers for the L.

As far as the rejetting, all depends on your elevation. Sea level up to 2000 feet above sea level: a 160 main will do fine with your configuration and if you go ahead and desmog it too. If you find an aftermarket header that you would like to put on you more than likely need to go up to a 165.

As far as the rejetting, all depends on your elevation. Sea level up to 2000 feet above sea level: a 160 main will do fine with your configuration and if you go ahead and desmog it too. If you find an aftermarket header that you would like to put on you more than likely need to go up to a 165.

Thanks for that.

I noticed the Baja designs desmog kit in TT store so I will recommend that to my friend as well

couple more questions if you dont mind

Do I need a bigger pilot jet as well ?

what are the part numbers/TT shop pt no's for jets

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I read somewhere that yosh dont make a full system for the 650L

Are the white bro's or FMF full system or slip ons ?

Are people normally just getting an aftermarket can and keeping the stock header?

Most pig owners just buy a can as far as I can tell. I personally have never seen a L model with a full system. :confused: I remember reading somewhere that Scott Summers used a stock header with the welds ground off on his R for most types of "Eastern" racing so I have always been suspect about gain vs cost of a full system for my type of riding (lots of knarly technical stuff around here).

I also read that Scott ALWAYS used a full Yosh system for desert racing, so if I just wanted to haul @$$ and make a lot of noise thats what I would get.

I'm not sure if White Bros or FMF offer headers but I'll bet at least one of them do.

I run the XRs only full system in stainless oval can and it is loud,but not to bad the pipe it self has held up well going into my 4th season. Im running there mikuni flat slide carb also ,but I did run the stock carb with Daves mods to start. I probably should have stayed there ,but I'm happy with the mikuni it works better than stock.

Most pig owners just buy a can as far as I can tell. I personally have never seen a L model with a full system. :confused: I remember reading somewhere that Scott Summers used a stock header with the welds ground off on his R for most types of "Eastern" racing so I have always been suspect about gain vs cost of a full system for my type of riding (lots of knarly technical stuff around here).

I also read that Scott ALWAYS used a full Yosh system for desert racing, so if I just wanted to haul @$$ and make a lot of noise thats what I would get.

I'm not sure if White Bros or FMF offer headers but I'll bet at least one of them do.

By the way... Scott rode an R model. Any header that fits an R should fit an L. But I would ask before dropping the bucks just to be sure.

• 1 month later...

You might find places saying that they are selling White Brothers pipes, but you better call them. Because most don't have them in stock , and if they are not in stock you won't be getting one. Trust me, I searched 3 weeks before finding one. If you find one, buy it, you'll love it. Sounds great!