HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KTMBlake

stator upgrade & wiring question

4 posts in this topic

Fixing up a '92 XR600R, and part of the project will include a 200w Ricky stator and a BD or Trick dualsport kit. The stator, of course...is to help with things like heated grips and a vest plugin (good stuff to have in Colorado high country riding).

I have not dug into the bike yet - it's on a stand in a corner of the garage.

I am drawing a blank on where I'll plug this stuff into. I'm used to SAE pigtails attached to a real battery on bikes like a DR or KLR, and I'm likely to have a dinky kit battery.....so I'm wondering if there's a wiring block, and how I'll make the connections.

Well there is not much existing wiring. Just the bare minimum. You are going to need to add most everything. Most dual sport kits put stuff by the headlight and under the seat. There isn't much room.

Where to put the battery is the biggest issue. There just isn't room anywhere for a decent sized one. Most dual sport kits use a 10 cell nicad pack that is only good for about 1 amp hour.

Depending on what kind of voltage the accessories need(most likely 12v DC), you may need to tap into the/a voltage regulator output.

Depending on what kind of voltage the accessories need(most likely 12v DC), you may need to tap into the/a voltage regulator output.

I had a Trick d/s kit on my 520 MXC, and it had a 12v accessory tap, but it was really made for low draw items like GPS , etc. Plus, that's an e-start bike that came with a battery -ie, a place for a pigtail. I know a kit for a kickstart bike will have a minimal NiCad battery - likely mounted behind the headlight w/ the box.

That was the basic question - where to put a wiring tap for say, an SAE pigtail and/or the wires for gripheaters and such.

I know where the electronics box will be, and there's no mystery about the d/s kit....but I've seen enough XR's with aux lighting and grip heaters and such after putting on the big stator, that I just had to wonder out loud where these connections are made! I figured it would be at/near the regulator, but haven't seen mention (or pictures) of a terminal/fuse block anywhere like people use for accessories on bikes with standard electrical systems.

Looks like this pdf on the Baja Designs site answers most of my questions...

http://www.bajadesigns.com/2005%20Web%20Site/PDF%20Files/Stator%20Instructions/XR600%20(91-on)%20with%20old%20style%20dsk.pdf