Spark Arrestor Effects

Will adding a spark arrestor to my 2004 YZ450 make it harder to kick?

I've heard from different people that spark arrestors rob power and make it harder to get a bike started.

What's your experience?

do the stock yz 450s specifically 07 have a spark arrestor or any kind of baffle??

because i always take the baffle/arrestor out of my play bikes but i have never been sure about my 450

No, they don't. Its a straight-through design muffler.

Will adding a spark arrestor to my 2004 YZ450 make it harder to kick?

I've heard from different people that spark arrestors rob power and make it harder to get a bike started.

What's your experience?

I use DRD pipes on both of mine and I use the sparky only when I need it. Part of when I need it is during desert races when a tech inspection is actually done. I can't say that there is any noticeable difference with or without it.

I also have the PMB endcap with removable spark arrestor and there's no noticeable affect on the bike's performace or startability(is that a word:busted:). It looks nice and makes me legal for the trails:thumbsup:

Our two stroke screen types would eventually plug up and wouldn't run on the top end.

Only seen one problem on a 4 stroke when the perforated tube broke up and collected on the screen with the packing

Do you have to change jetting with the Pro Moto s/a end cap, and how much quieter is it going to be? I need to be at or below 96db, with my 07 yz450. I think the magazines say it already is, but the track I joined say everyone needs to be quiet!!! I'm fine with that:thumbsup: just looking for the right alternative than purchasing a new slip-on because as soon as I spend the hundreds I will prob thrash it ?

Steve

Do you have to change jetting with the Pro Moto s/a end cap, and how much quieter is it going to be? I need to be at or below 96db, with my 07 yz450. I think the magazines say it already is, but the track I joined say everyone needs to be quiet!!! I'm fine with that:thumbsup: just looking for the right alternative than purchasing a new slip-on because as soon as I spend the hundreds I will prob thrash it ?

Steve

No jetting changes needed.

Not quieter, either. Heck if anything, mine got louder because the outlet is larger diameter than the stock end cap.

They do sell a quiet insert that goes on the end of the PMB cap, basically all it does is direct the exhaust straight down so it sounds a little more quiet.

Pretty surethat is aword. I also had the PMB endcap and never noticed any performance issues. I did however, get alot of crap from the guys I ride with. Put on an FMF Q4 and couldn't be happier.

How did the Q4 affect performance? How much quieter is it over stock with the PMB cap?

Stock muffler with PMB end cap and turndown (quiet tip) was as loud as stock, that's why I got so much crap from the guys I ride with. Q4 is noticably quieter. When I first got my '06, put a Q2 on it and hated it. Rode with it once and sold it because it killed the power so much. Q4, in comparison, smooths out the power and makes the bike a little more user friendly in the woods.