Fair price for a older/used 650L

Hello, I ride a 2002 xr400r and I love the bike. However, I ride in New Jersey and from what Ive heard I dont think its possible to make the bike street legal anymore so Im looking to pick up an older XL650L to ride the trails near my house. Ive found one thats a 99 with 15000 miles thats clean with an asking price of $2,000. Does this sound fair? Should I offer less? Is the milage to high for these bikes? I dont want a project or to spend a lot of money on this. I would really appreciate all of your advice. By the way, if there is a way to make my 400 street or trail legal please let me know.

Hello, I ride a 2002 xr400r and I love the bike. However, I ride in New Jersey and from what Ive heard I dont think its possible to make the bike street legal anymore so Im looking to pick up an older XL650L to ride the trails near my house. Ive found one thats a 99 with 15000 miles thats clean with an asking price of $2,000. Does this sound fair? Should I offer less? Is the milage to high for these bikes? I dont want a project or to spend a lot of money on this. I would really appreciate all of your advice. By the way, if there is a way to make my 400 street or trail legal please let me know.

As far as making the 400 street legal, I'd post that question in the DS forum. There is a lot of good knowledge in there.

As far as the 650L, Is it stock? Does it smoke? What was the maintenance record? Some of them will go for 30K miles or more on the stock engine.

Bike is stock with a decent history. Haven't heard it run yet. Owner told my is has a leaky seal at the shifter lever, until the bike warms up at least.

Just go look at it. Notice if it smokes on start up for a few seconds... Thats valve guide seals, and may need valve seals and/or valve job. If it smokes blue constant, then rings are the issue. The shifter seal is easy to repl. 1500 - 2000 is fair.

2004 650L. Cam, Piston,Rod,Big gun, Xr's carb,clarke tank,fender mods, K&N, all changed parts, 3200mi, clean plastic 2700$. Bought in the fall as people unload bikes and boats here for the winter. I didn't need the bike, but liked the build. It is different than my 600R, closer to the 650R(power). Same here, no hassels from the law because it is an L.

xrlleft.jpg

• 2 years later...

I just picked up a 97 xr650l with 33,600 miles all stock . Runs good and really good shape. Small oil leak but doesn't look serious. I paid 1300 for her I'll post pictures when I get it on Monday night after work.

Value depends greatly on your area and availibility. In my area, Kommiefornia, bikes go for much more money than elsewhere. You can find deals, but you have to shop carefully and be willing to wait, sometimes a long time.

In my area, that would be a fair price.

I bought my bike just north of Los Angeles. They were a dime a dozen which is why I traveled there to get it. I see them on craigslist every time I look, and it'd be hard to find a state which has as many available as CA.