HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krannie McKranface

Is my XRR clutch in need of a rebuild?

6 posts in this topic

This is my second XR650R. I recall the first one to have a lighter pull, and less requirement for full disengagment. Is something amis?

- I have to pull the lever all the way to the bar to get a clean shift (even when the lever is adjusted with no play.

- The clutch pull seems much heavier than I remember.

- Disengagement is not smooth, and not consistent.

The clutch works OK; it just seems archaic compared to my CRF. Maybe it just needs freshening up?

TIA

I wonder if the basket "fingers" have become notched? Causing the plates to kind of hang up?

Check your basket bushing if you end up pulling it. If your bike is 2002 or older, you might want to put in a new one. They updated the design sometime in 2002 to feed more oil into the bushing.

I found that the CRF250R/450R clutches drag so much that you have to kick them over in neutral to start unless you are kicking the snot out of them.

Well, I just played with my carb, and I got the hanging idle issue improved so much, that the clutch doesn't feel so bad anymore. Amazing how everything is connected...

I have had a hanging idle and a slight decel pop since I last put the Edlebrock on, so I thought I would fiddle today and solve it.

I found that the 19e needle was rich, at 30 clicks out.

I found the pump was lean.

So, I added 15 degrees more turn on the pump adjustment, added a expansion spring to the throttle linkage, and set the needle at 24 clicks out.

Major improvment everywhere. The extra power from idle to mid makes the bike feel 80 lbs lighter. I now can lift the front wheel from a normal sitting postion first through third with just throttle.

It runs so much better, that I now want more!

Where's that HRC kit anyway??

It's weird how having it rich on the needle, yet lean on the pump would yeild a lean condition on the decel.

This is my second XR650R. I recall the first one to have a lighter pull, and less requirement for full disengagment. Is something amis?

- I have to pull the lever all the way to the bar to get a clean shift (even when the lever is adjusted with no play.

- The clutch pull seems much heavier than I remember.

- Disengagement is not smooth, and not consistent.

The clutch works OK; it just seems archaic compared to my CRF. Maybe it just needs freshening up?

TIA

i dont see how your carb setting will affect your clutch issues? idle and carb setting wont have anything to do with having issues with pulling clutch in all the way or a heavy feeling clutch. When was the last time you lubed your clutch cable? I know alot neglect that as it should be done twice a year or more if you ride alot. if you havent already i would check your basket like others already said, if the basket fingers are worn its gonna make it feel like you said some, that and a cable that either needs lubed or replaced.