HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dave_v

oil and water

1 post in this topic

I had not run the bike (01 yz426 with <100 hours) for three months, so I took it out for a quick spin around the block to get it warmed and check all the fluid levels before the riding season starts. Everything went fine until i popped the rad cap and saw the fluid had turned from green to brown. I drained the oil, which had zero hours on it, and it looks like there's water in the oil too.

So I search the archives, and the prevailing thought seems to be head gasket, followed by the base gasket and o-rings. I called the local Yamaha shop to see how much it would cost to fix a head gasket, and they suggest the following:

piston kit $150

cam chain $40

base/head gasket and o-rings etc $50

labor (4.5 hours @ $80/hr) $360

Since the engine has low hours, and has never eaten any oil, or every smoked, I was avoiding any valve work. So the total is about $600, which is not nearly as bad as I was thinking. First questions then:

1) does this seem like a reasonable parts list to solve the problem, and address other high wear items while its apart?

2) are the prices reasonable?

3) any other work/parts that would be worthwhile?

When I was talking with him about the mixing fluids, he said that he thought it might just be the water pump seals. I remember seeing a comment by greyracer that this was not possible since there are seals on both oil and coolant sides, and a weep hole to vent anything that got past either seal. Right?

Thanks guys!

Dave