08 XR650L Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank

Hello what a great forum, thank you, After reading on here for a couple of months I decided the right bike for me would be the XR650L I begged my wife and ordered one 10 days ago,I am jacked.I have bought the smog block of kit,going do go with dave's mods. What I cannot decide on is the fuel tank, just gas tanks has 3 for the 650L, Please could anybody send me pic's of the 5.8 gal acerbis mounted on a 650L, also I am tall so I ordered a RWS triple clamp 3" tall, 1 1/8 pro taper rc high, where does a guy buy longer cables, (does TT sell them).I read in some treads that I will need them. I weight 235lbs and am 6' 1" I know i will need to modify suspension (or beer intake) what would be the most economical to start with, (The wife is already tensing up when I mention all the great things I can do to this bike.) Before I sign off I want to thank all of you for the great posts, I cant tell you after raising 4 kids how much fun this is going to be, Thanks again James

Hello what a great forum, thank you, After reading on here for a couple of months I decided the right bike for me would be the XR650L I begged my wife and ordered one 10 days ago,I am jacked.I have bought the smog block of kit,going do go with dave's mods. What I cannot decide on is the fuel tank, just gas tanks has 3 for the 650L, Please could anybody send me pic's of the 5.8 gal acerbis mounted on a 650L, also I am tall so I ordered a RWS triple clamp 3" tall, 1 1/8 pro taper rc high, where does a guy buy longer cables, (does TT sell them).I read in some treads that I will need them. I weight 235lbs and am 6' 1" I know i will need to modify suspension (or beer intake) what would be the most economical to start with, (The wife is already tensing up when I mention all the great things I can do to this bike.) Before I sign off I want to thank all of you for the great posts, I cant tell you after raising 4 kids how much fun this is going to be, Thanks again James

Congrats on your new L James! You are going to have so much fun riding and modding the pig. are you sure you want 5.8 gal? Thats alot of fuel weight, and they are a real BITCH to fit the bike. I have a Clarke 4.0 and its goo for 140 miles with res. I have 2" pivoting risers and CR hi bend bars (Im 6'5") and its perfect. No need for longer cables with my setup, yours, I cant say. The best thing would be to have your shock and forks resprung for your weight. Heres a few pics of my setup. The box of stuff weighs close to 25 pounds by now! XR400 front fender gets rid of that droop. I also have a crf 450 rear. Just let me know if any questions!

100_8395.jpg

100_8394.jpg

100_8061.jpg

100_7834.jpg

100_7810.jpg

100_7753.jpg

100_7641.jpg

100_7569-1.jpg

100_7563-1.jpg

I also think the 5+ gallon tank is too much unless you plan on some REAL adventure riding where you might get stuck out in the boondocks. I went with the 4.7 Clarke and thought even that was overkill. As far as the three brands, there seems to be very few issues with any Clarke tanks reported. The Acerbis seems to be a consistent problem as far as installation. The IMS (I've heard) has an extra nice finish but also costs more.

Thanks for the information, I really need to rethink the big tank 4 gal is probally plenty, don't hear much about the IMS tank is that because of the extra price or have their been problems, clarke seems to have a fine reputation, all input very apreciated, thanks:)

Thanks for the information, I really need to rethink the big tank 4 gal is probally plenty, don't hear much about the IMS tank is that because of the extra price or have their been problems, clarke seems to have a fine reputation, all input very apreciated, thanks:)

I like the look of the IMS better, but like you know its more $$$. Clarke 4 gal. I think is enough capacity. Fits and looks great.

I've got both tanks on different bikes, but are probably the same(haven't checked). The L is an 04', and the R is an 89'. The IMS tank did discolor from gas and dirt. The clarke seems to have a nicer finish, but is not as used. The IMS tank needs its own IMS cap as well because the stock cap does not seal correctly. Clarke tanks not sure, but mine does have a clarke cap.

IMG_1829.jpg

As for your risers and cable problems, sometimes they work sometimes they don't. I have Rox 2"anti-vibe's with 1 1/8 CR high bend Fatbars. The only cable that is to short now is the clutch cable. Motion pro makes custom cables but they are not cheap. I'm 6'2" and 275lbs. I also did the suspensions with Eibach springs and they work well.

IMG_1864.jpg

so I ordered a RWS triple clamp 3" tall, 1 1/8 pro taper rc high, where does a guy buy longer cables, (does TT sell them).I read in some treads that I will need them.

venne, I put the RWS upper triple and 3" bar risers on my XRL, and had to reroute the cables, but the stockers worked fine, with a high bend bar!

I weigh about the same as you, and after I revalved and resprung the bike, it was a new machine.

Good luck!

Where can i get those risers and do they work with stock handle bars?

If you are putting the anti-vibe on an L, it probably isn't necessary. Matter of fact if you use to much anti-vibe, it will vibrate more. I bought them to try. If they aren't any better on my L, they will go on the CR500 vibration machine!! Using the 7/8's to 1 1/8 risers lets me use premium bars without getting a 1 1/8 triple, and risers. Be aware, to much rise means new cables. Motion pro's were near 40$+ each. I'm working with a local company to fix me up with stainless for 1/2 the price, if they can get the fittings. Will post in a few weeks if it works well!!Still winter here, with not enough snow to ride sled except Tug Hill!

radvocaat when you got your rsw triple clamp did it not have screws in it,mine did not, I e-mailed ron at rsw he said to use the stock screws, is their any exact ft lbs of torque to use on these bolts, also did you encounter any lock tight, diffrent tools,or anything else, always helps to ask a guy that has just done this exact mod. Where should I go to get the exact spring info I need to change on this bike. Thanks all you guys are great.

Picked up motorcycle sunday the 9th, spent a couple hours getting rsw triple clamp and new bars installed, wow this bike is tall I love it. I was very impressed with the rsw installation everything fit very nice, not one problem, I would recommend them to anyone. there was more to the installation than expected but They really look nice, It was money well spent.

WELCOME to TT!! another option is www.terrycable.com that is Ty Davis' dads company and they make all kinds of cables that may be a little cheaper than MotionPro if you have to change any. Id try to reroute and make them fit before you just go out and buy them since some have had stockers work fine.

• 1 year later...
I was very impressed with the rsw installation everything fit very nice, not one problem, I would recommend them to anyone. there was more to the installation than expected but They really look nice, It was money well spent.

Ditto that on the RSW triple, quality product:thumbsup:

Evo%20Bars.JPG

Really like the Pro Taper EVO bars too.... ?

• 1 month later...
What I cannot decide on is the fuel tank.

The only beef I have with the Clarke and IMS gas tank is that they are single petcock so you don't get the full effectiveness of the larger tank. I was riding with a guy who had the Clarke and he ran out of gas. We had to tip the bike on its side and slosh the gas over to the left side so we could make it to the next gas station. The beauty of the Acerbis is that you don't have to fill it up all the way if you're just doing short rides but you've got the option to go farther if you want to. You can't add what you don't have. Personally, I like the options.

Here is a thread on how to install it.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775780

Venne, I just went through the same thing trying to decide on tank brand for my 650r. I searched and read multiple threads, and looked at many pics before ordering a Clarke. I had a IMS on my 4 and 600 w/no problems. Seemed like the majority of riders on this sight went w/Clarke. Ordered a Clarke from Justgastanks and was mad as a hornet when it arrived. The Clarke I got had faded discolored light spots all over it like some one hosed it w/carb cleaner after it came out of the mold. Justgastanks was great and exchanged it for an IMS that I am pleased with. They did tell me that they take back at least one Clarke a week for quality problems. You won't go wrong w/justgastanks on either tank, because they will make it right if you if you have problems.