HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rfelker

Really dumb ? about oil

4 posts in this topic

Ok guys I just purchased a 2003 yz450f. My first 4 stroke. Anyway I read the manual cover to cover. But it does not show where to add the engine oil. I see the plug on the engine and the one in the frame but where do I add it after draining the oil. And can I use modil 1 for the oil. thanks

Look on page 3-15. The oil fill is on the left side crankcase cover. And no, that isn't where the dipstick is. The oil will be pumped up to the tank in the first 1-2 minutes of running, and then you can check the level. Be certain that you've drained both the frame and the crankcase, and don't overfill.

Mobil 1 what? Mobil 2 Racing 4T is an excellent, but expensive, oil. Mobil 1 Extended performance is a great engine oil, but you're lubing a transmission, too, and unless you have some evidence that it will hold up in that rather demanding role, plan to change it very frequently.

More:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2685432#post2685432

Look on page 3-15. The oil fill is on the left side crankcase cover. And no, that isn't where the dipstick is. The oil will be pumped up to the tank in the first 1-2 minutes of running, and then you can check the level. Be certain that you've drained both the frame and the crankcase, and don't overfill.

Mobil 1 what? Mobil 2 Racing 4T is an excellent, but expensive, oil. Mobil 1 Extended performance is a great engine oil, but you're lubing a transmission, too, and unless you have some evidence that it will hold up in that rather demanding role, plan to change it very frequently.

More:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2685432#post2685432

I use Mobil 1 motorcycle oil (10w40, and 20w50), great luck with the stuff!

(I did a lot of reading up on it, and concur with your linked post)

Ok guys I just purchased a 2003 yz450f. My first 4 stroke.

Welcome to TT and the 4 stroke world.