Flywheel weight & hill climbs

I did a quick search and didn't find anything. I'm riding a 01' YZF426 , and I'm wondering about getting a flywheel weight for long steep hill climbs. The bike is geared down a little bit will a weight help or hinder this? ? Is this the route I should take to help me out?

I did a quick search and didn't find anything. I'm riding a 01' YZF426 , and I'm wondering about getting a flywheel weight for long steep hill climbs. The bike is geared down a little bit will a weight help or hinder this? ? Is this the route I should take to help me out?

No it won't hinder it. I have one on my 05 450 and it helps. Assuming that you are stalling the bike in the steep stuff?

What problem are you having?

Generally speaking, there aren't many off-road situations where a flywheel DOESN'T help a 450.

i've been thinking about getting a flywheel weight but i didn't want it if i didn't need it and i've been good just by gearing it down to a 12 in the front, although i'd be able to make it up butterball if i had a flywheel weight.

butterball...a man can only dream. ?

hey navy...imo a fww is a great thing. we only trial ride, but it just makes the bike more trail friendly. I have only rode 2 strokes before with fww's. I bought a zipty 10z for my yz400f and installed it tuesday, hope to ride it saturday and will report back. this will be my first fww on a 4 stroke.

btw... i stink at clutch management too....

my very first post here. i just got an 03 wr450 with 60 miles and 4 hrs on it. soo excited. i have all my buddys old bike 86's - 92's. But anyways i have an 1988 yz490 w/ a flywheel weight. and it is a very easy to ride bike that just keeps going. get the weight. i never thought about it for the wr, but i plan to now

i thought i did not need one and it was all rider control.

but i tried one on a friends bike same model and year as mine and it was night and day. less stalling, easier clutch control, it really shined in loose trail, hill climbing. even in slow tight trails. i thought flywheel weights were for 2 strokes.

it would be your best mod you ever did to your bike.

You should do it for sure. I have an 01 426 and i put on a Terry Cable 12oz. VERY easy to put it on, comes with everything. As for the riding it helps in more places than just hill climbing. Before when I would pin it on flat ground half the time the wheel would just break loose and spin. Once I put the weight on you could feel it hook up and shoot you out like a rocket!! If you ride any trails at all it is a MUST have. I think that bike has so much power it would climb anything, the weight just keeps it from stalling. Do it. ?

Ok, so first ride with the 10oz FWW on my '07 450. I put on around 80 miles of high desert riding this weekend. Fast whoops, tight trails with rocks, hill climbs....

There isn't one downside to this mod. Less stall prone, ran smoother off the bottom (no more chug-a-chug if the revs drop too much), but was still snappy, responsive and fast! Not to mention it freakin' HOOKED UP, every bit of power was put right to the ground.

I hated the 9oz I put on my YZ250 2-t, but I love how the FWW works on the 450.

No one talked about gearing with the FWW. Just picked up an 03 YZ450F and need it for our property in the WA. desert. (Yes we do have desert) It's set up with a 14/48 and runs way too fast for the scrub. Any recommendations for gearing and weight oz. for 200 lb rider for trails, fire roads and miles of sagebrush. Maybe some sand dunes later here in Eastern WA. Thanks, CSM

The subject of gearing is not particularly related to flywheel weight in any way. You should have posted this in a new thread, or one on the topic. But, since you asked, you have to remember that the YZ is an MX bike, and all MX bikes have a close ratio trans with a high first gear and a low top gear, compared to enduro/DS bikes. You can gear down for the trails, but you give up cruising speed on the fire roads, and vice versa.

If you wanted to spend about $6-700 on the project, you could convert it to the 5 speed used in the '03-'06 WR450.