2t 250 woods bike

Just doing a bit of research for my next purchase. Won't be buying a bike anytime soon, but that doesn't mean I can't look, aye?

1. Provide your height, weight and skill level

5' 9" @ 150lbs. Been riding trails since I was 8, 100% tight & slow single track, little to no open riding experience.

2. Specify your price range if that's a limiting factor

about 3000 USD

3. Describe the terrain types & conditions the bike will be ridden in

Tight and muddy single track, lots of "walk/ride" conditions, very slow, with some fairly daunting hillclimbs (but nothing TOO extremely verticle). I'd like to enter some Hare & Hounds in the future

4. If you're changing bikes, what do you want the new bike to do differently?

I hopefully won't be CHANGING bikes, but rather adding to the stable (depends on how much money i'm rolling in when i'm ready to purchase). Looking for a bike that'll actually have some snap, and handles alot lighter. Low end is a MUST.

Which of the big 4 250s would fit the bill best? I was actually looking at KTM 200s, but those are far too hard to find used OR new in the area (they sell like hotcakes, and people hold them like Argentinian ass...)

Would probably be looking at 03 - 05 used bikes. New is too expensive.

rm or yz id say.I own a rm. I've heard the yz has a little better motor stock with more low end but youll probably end up adding a flywheel anyways. Though the rm may not have as good a motor it feels a little lighter from what ive read and it hadles very quickly which is great in the singletrack. the Rm is a little less stable at desert speed but for woods that doesnt matter. i highky recomend the rm but you cant go wrong with the yz its an awesome bike also.

Uh, I was actually asking about bikes from the big 4...

Gas Gas and KTM would def be WAYYYYYY too pricey...

mm, yeah...from my experience, not many riders know about or know how good GasGas bikes really are and since I've never been to Hawaii, I'm not sure if GG bikes and parts are even available. Over here you can get used GG bikes for a good deal and parts are easy to get and prices are competitive. Just trying to offer a little extra help since you wouldn't have to do anything to a GasGas bike to make it trail worthy compared to a big 4 bike. Besides, if you don't find a used big 4 bike set up for trails, then after adding a flywheel weight,low end pipe,spark arrestor,suspension work,bigger tank...etc to an MXer, you might be able to buy a GG bike for close to the same price or cheaper.

Happy trails.

Actually, used Gas Gas's go for pretty cheap, since resale on "exotic" brands usually sucks. I saw a sweet '01 EC250 on craigs list a while back for $1850.

For me, there are two choices I would consider if I had $3k to spend on a 250two-stroke.

1) KTM 250 MXC or EXC. My cousin had an '01 that was a GREAT woods bike. I'm not sure if you could find a late model XC or XCW in your price range, but they're essentially updated versions of the EXC & MXC.

2) YZ250. These are great bikes for off-road, with out as much work as some folks would lead you to believe.

Hmm, I just noticed that the RM has what looks to be a steel frame.

Not that it's a bad thing, of course, but would that mean that Suzuki has cut all RD for their 2stroke line?

AFAIK, 2008 will be the last year for the RM250.

2) YZ250. These are great bikes for off-road, with out as much work as some folks would lead you to believe.

I got my 2004 YZ last June for $2600. It had 8 hours on it. Yes, I've had to mod it but not that much (check garage for details). Definately change gearing, add a fly wheel weight to prevent stalls and install an FMF Gnarly/TC2 for more low end power and to be trail legal/quiet.

I would buy a KTM or GasGas only if I had lots of money available. The RM250s are nice bikes too (owned a 2000 model twice). I had an 2003 KX250 but it was too small ergonomically and didn't have the motor I liked. I hear KX250s beyond '03 had better motors but their ergos seemed to remain too small for me.?

My first pick would be any KTM........But YZ's are good offroaders and there is huge aftermarket parts available too. A KDX 200 or 220 would be quite a improvement over your current ride.

KDX 220 sounds like a good idea to me. And you can do a ton of upgrades to them. They have heaps of low down power. You'd have to ride one to decide whether you think it is agile enough. But great bike otherwise especially on maintenance they are VERY reliable. ?:eek: