HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ProjectDIRT

HELP. Pro Taper clamps.

16 posts in this topic

i just got the pro taper clamps today and it says just bolt on bearing already pressed. but it doesnt seem right to have this gap. please help. thanks

IMGP2408.jpg

IMGP2407.jpg

I'd say it looks like that gap is a stepped shoulder, but it's hard to say for sure. Does look a bit different. If you can't tell for sure, you may want to call them and ask.

yea thats what i was thinking. and it does look like a collar to me too. it just looks wierd when on the bike with the gap down there. and the turn stops only make like a 3/16th contact to the stop on the headset. its wierd.

whenever you get those things on, let us all know if the bike handles any better....granted they are the 22.5 offset.

also, what kind of bike are they goin on

they are and its an 06. i almost bought a new bike but instead spent like 2gs on new gear and rims and stuff for bike. ill post pics and let you know how they handle.

that does not look right at all. Is the steering stem the stock 06 Ti stem or other protaper supplied? Either bearing is not the right size or stem is wrong. Stem should be recessed into the lower clamp - the black thing is just weird....at the bottom of the stem.

I would send it back for another one - have them press the stem and bearing on.

You could just press that bearing off and see if there is a shoulder it rests on in that posistion. It looks like it isn't all the way pressed down to me though. All the aftermarket clamps i have used, that bearing rests on the top of the bottom clamp.

yea. i was trying but it was messing the seal up. but no i can go pick my new set up. they sent me an 08 set. its for the new head set the collar thing.

Usually you get a piece of machined alum. as a press collar for the bearing as not to damage it when you press it on. Looks like some genius put it under the bearing.