Steering Stabilizer Questions? - 2003 xr650r

Hey guys,

I'm new on this forum but love reading what you all have to say, thanks in advance for any advice!

I've heard a lot of people talk about steering stabilizers and how once you get one, you'll never ride without one, but what are the advantages? Will it stop the jerk you feel when you throw a rock out the front tire? Will they help in attacking the whoops?

I've been riding for my whole life, mostly in Baja, but this is my first season where i will be riding every weekend! Idaho has tons of trails. So I'd really like to look into a stabilizer in hopes that it will help take my riding to the next level.

Here's my pig, she's pretty much uncorked and has more power than i know what to with!

<a  href=dsc00433iy6.th.jpg' alt='dsc00433iy6.th.

Hey guys,

I'm new on this forum but love reading what you all have to say, thanks in advance for any advice!

I've heard a lot of people talk about steering stabilizers and how once you get one, you'll never ride without one, but what are the advantages? Will it stop the jerk you feel when you throw a rock out the front tire? Will they help in attacking the whoops?

I've been riding for my whole life, mostly in Baja, but this is my first season where i will be riding every weekend! Idaho has tons of trails. So I'd really like to look into a stabilizer in hopes that it will help take my riding to the next level.

Here's my pig, she's pretty much uncorked and has more power than i know what to with!

<a  href=dsc00433iy6.th.jpg' alt='dsc00433iy6.th.

i was riding in death valley last weekend and the tower pin on my scotts pulled away from the link arm in the middle of a gravel wash i was riding through. my first thought was that my triple clamp had snapped because of the amount of play i felt in the handlebars. i stopped and reinserted the pin, i had greased it a bit too much, and it was almost like riding on a paved surface by comparison. i had heard people say they would never ride without one after riding with one and i can truly say the same thing, it's cheap life insurance.

I really can't think of any negatives on using a stablizer. I'm sure someone will say extra weight but I dought anyone could tell the difference.

I will say that the year I got back into racing, I did not use a stabilizer and on a section of a course where we came from WFO into a rooted section, I got pitched around really bad and almost crashed. The next year with a stabilizer in the same section, I could blast right through the section without letting off. It does help a lot. does it make you faster???? I don't know... but it makes me more confident in iffy sections.

Is the install pretty simple? I'm fairly handy with a wrench, but i try to avoid things involving the suspension, front forks, etc.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Anyone here Idaho want to hit the trails?

It's an easy install and the ride sounds great but I'm in SoCal.

its a good investment but if you havent done your suspension i would do that first. i race desert here in cali but i keep my gpr set pretty low 2-1/2 and all the way off in the tech stuff. the real big reason that helps is when your huling the mail and you back wheel hits that loose rock and deflects it has saved my a couple hundred times, but to me the suspension is a bigger difference than a stabalizer