Xr650L Battery under the seat

So you cut off the right side upper air box mount by the looks..

The seat frame being cut change the integrity of the strength of the seat? I mean the plastic being cut out from the bottom of the seat.

Rich

remember the seat is sitting ontop of the battery which is on top of the airbox - the seat also has rails that it sits on so the whole thing is plenty strong

Oh and one other thing I should add is that my seat base is an XR650L seat base - it goes straight on the XR600 frame.

Looks like you have a little metal battery tray under the battery as well. Is that supported by the frame at all or is does the whole works just lay on top of the airbox?

Looks like you have a little metal battery tray under the battery as well. Is that supported by the frame at all or is does the whole works just lay on top of the airbox?

Riveted to the top of the airbox.

Not attached to the frame at all

Ok, I have decided on my final mounting place. Just doing the final wire routing now. You will be able to use a crf450x battery, retain use of the stock airbox as well. The little crf battery even cranks faster than the stocker!!! Didnt even have to cut the seat!

Thanks to "Kubiak" at another site..

Rich.

Post some pictures when you finish up martinfan.

Ok, I have decided on my final mounting place. Just doing the final wire routing now. You will be able to use a crf450x battery, retain use of the stock airbox as well. The little crf battery even cranks faster than the stocker!!! Didnt even have to cut the seat!

Thanks to "Kubiak" at another site..

Rich.

So, are you going to plug the top of the airbox with it?

I have one small warning This might not be an issue but... Does this 450 battery have the same cold cranking amps on it as a 650l battery. IF you do go with a high compression motor (11 to 1 to 12) on the L and you are disabling the compression releases you will probably have a lot more strain on the battery due to this 450 battery is starting a motor with compression releases that generally turns over much quicker than our pigs do. We have this exact problem with the gators and we have been tring to fix this problem for years. We actuall have mounted a ford starter relay solenoid on the bike to help with starting because the starter is having a harder time trying to start and causing the battery voltage to drop into the 7 vot range. So it might not be an issue but be careful with those high compression motors out there, your starting does get effected by this.

So, are you going to plug the top of the airbox with it?

It takes up 75 percent of the opening, but I enlarged it as well.

I will also do something similar to the side panel. Like the R panel mods.

I dont think airflow is going to be an issue.

I have one small warning This might not be an issue but... Does this 450 battery have the same cold cranking amps on it as a 650l battery. IF you do go with a high compression motor (11 to 1 to 12) on the L and you are disabling the compression releases you will probably have a lot more strain on the battery due to this 450 battery is starting a motor with compression releases that generally turns over much quicker than our pigs do. We have this exact problem with the gators and we have been tring to fix this problem for years. We actuall have mounted a ford starter relay solenoid on the bike to help with starting because the starter is having a harder time trying to start and causing the battery voltage to drop into the 7 vot range. So it might not be an issue but be careful with those high compression motors out there, your starting does get effected by this.

I am not sure about CCA's. I do know that it cranks faster than the stocker ever did(at least that I can recall!).

When i do a hicomp piston, it will be the 10.5 to 1. So hopefully there will be no issues. I have talked to a guy with 10.5 to 1 and hotcam... He has no issues starting.

I'm glad your doing this mod now. As you saw in my previous post, I now have the frame back from the powder coaters. Yesterday I fitted the airbox, cleaned and retaped the loom and then laid it roughly in the right place (I knew I should have taken some photos). I'm also going to relocate my battery under the seat so that I can still use the airbox so any pics will be a great help.

I will try to get some up tonite.. I actually have found a way to mount the crf battery IN the "enlarged" snorkel area.

I run a HRC 628 motor which last year I added electric start to.

The XRs have an auto decomp below about 800rpm.

The estarter I think turns the bike over between 400-600rpm and so you are using the automatic decomp.

In any event there is manual decomp to alleviate the compression.

I've never struck any starting problems on my converted XR628 and I was the first to use the 450X battery. It cranks strong and long.

the fact that we remove the auto decomression mechanism and are running FI is why we are having a problem starting. The inital cranking of the motor drops the voltage past the lowest threshold for the ecu. By replacing the starter solenoid relay with the ford one causes the motor to turn over faster due to a stronger cranking voltage. the stock soleniod did not have enough resistance. The starter system was pulling to much voltage away from the ecu not allowing the ecu to tell the coil to fire the plug. I guess all of this is irellivant if you dont have to worry about the voltage drop on the FI. There is also a minimum rpm that the bike has to meet to allow the ecu to fire.:) Just expressing concern thats all. We have thrown a lot of money at getting this issue figured out and the main thing is that damn stock starter does not like a 12 to 1 compression ratio. We were almost to the point of running a second battery of the starter only and the other for the ECU.:smirk: But the solenoid saved us. Anyone got any old ford falcon starter solinoid layin around:applause:

Well, here she is! Only 2 minor trim jobs too the bottom of the seat. You have to use a heat gun on the back of the airbox, and shove the battery down onto the hot plastic as far as you can to get it to fit. There is about 1 1/2" clearance from the top of the battery to the seat frame. The relay was a bit of hassle to get to fit too. The cool part is I have the use of my airbox back, a smaller, lighter battery (that seems to crank faster than the stocker!). I also layered thick foam around all the edges where the battery contacts the air box. It is a very snug fit, and not worried about it moving around at all. I plan on doing either some holes in the top of the air box, or in the side panel like I've seen on some R's.

100_8398.jpg

100_8397.jpg

100_8396.jpg

100_8395.jpg

100_8394.jpg

100_8393.jpg

100_8392.jpg

Is there anyway to reroute the two harness loops under the frame rail instead of over?...

Other than that good job..:smirk:

One other option guys is to relocate the solenoid. On my XR600 I had a tab welded to the frame to near the carb to bolt the reg/rectifier and solenoid:

IMG_4079.jpg

138_3876.jpg

Hey Rich

Are you not restricting airflow too much with the battery so deep into the airbox?

Perhaps do like I did and vent the LHS side panel? (and even the RHS airbox in your case?)

IMG_3958.jpg

Hey Rich

Are you not restricting airflow too much with the battery so deep into the airbox?

Perhaps do like I did and vent the LHS side panel? (and even the RHS airbox in your case?)

IMG_3958.jpg

I wll do that to mine as well.

The existing POD filter is ok, but I want to filter the dirty dez. air better.

can you use a filter sock?

they cover the filter you have.

Sorry im alittle late in reply this is old news now.