HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

martinfan30

Xr650L Battery under the seat

176 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I just bought a CRF450X battery because I want to mount it under the seat and regain the use of the stock airbox. All for this dez. trip coming up in April.

I know a few have done it on their 600R's, but I can find pics on only one bike.

Anyone care to post pics/tips of this mod on their bike?

Thanks,

Rich.

I've not tried, but I have seen the 450X battery and I don't think that there is enough room on my XR600 for it to fit between the airbox and the seat. Perhaps there is a little more room on the L.

I think that you would be OK with your existing filter. You might have to clean it before you go home though. Just depends on how much dust you ride in.

I've not tried, but I have seen the 450X battery and I don't think that there is enough room on my XR600 for it to fit between the airbox and the seat. Perhaps there is a little more room on the L.

I think that you would be OK with your existing filter. You might have to clean it before you go home though. Just depends on how much dust you ride in.

Ok, I looked at the area in question and there was no way the stocker would fit. The one guy from Austrailia, RMHCR??? He did it on his 600.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487214&highlight=xr650l+battery+under+the+seat

Plus it would just be a few more cool factor points!!

Why are you wanting to do this? In your previous setup I thought you had it in the airbox already...is this because you are experiencing lack of air flow?

Hey guys, I just bought a CRF450X battery because I want to mount it under the seat and regain the use of the stock airbox. All for this dez. trip coming up in April.

I know a few have done it on their 600R's, but I can find pics on only one bike.

Anyone care to post pics/tips of this mod on their bike?

Thanks,

Rich.

Why are you wanting to do this? In your previous setup I thought you had it in the airbox already...is this because you are experiencing lack of air flow?

No not any airflow problem. Yes the current setup is in the airbox.

There are 2 main reasons why I want to do this...

1: Going to a smaller, lighter battery in the CRF450X unit.

2: I plan on doing more dez. riding this year. So I want to regain the better filtering of a Uni 2 stage IN the factory airbox.

The existing POD filter is ok, but I want to filter the dirty dez. air better.

I bought the smaller battery and was going to relocate under the seat. After looking at the space and placing the battery, it seemed to be a lot of seat cutting and relocation of wires from wiring harness. Put the battery box back on and downsize to your smaller battery. It saves weight and allows you to use smaller or stock battery depending on situations.

Ok, got it...I tend to also ride in versy dusty conditions in the NM high desert. Right now a UNI 2-stage doesn't fit with the battery on the box? Then what filter are you using?

Geo

No not any airflow problem. Yes the current setup is in the airbox.

There are 2 main reasons why I want to do this...

1: Going to a smaller, lighter battery in the CRF450X unit.

2: I plan on doing more dez. riding this year. So I want to regain the better filtering of a Uni 2 stage IN the factory airbox.

The existing POD filter is ok, but I want to filter the dirty dez. air better.

Ok, got it...I tend to also ride in versy dusty conditions in the NM high desert. Right now a UNI 2-stage doesn't fit with the battery on the box? Then what filter are you using?

Geo

There is no way the UNI would work in its stock position in the box with either battery. I have a UNI 2 stage that I installed after removing the factory paper filter. This was before all my relocation work.

I bought the smaller battery and was going to relocate under the seat. After looking at the space and placing the battery, it seemed to be a lot of seat cutting and relocation of wires from wiring harness. Put the battery box back on and downsize to your smaller battery. It saves weight and allows you to use smaller or stock battery depending on situations.

I thought about it, but I really like not have that big black tumor hanging off my pigs ass.

Plus they look killer with the 600R's left side cover.

Have you seen the 600R in the link above? Do you think that much seat cutting would compromise the seat's strength/integrity?

I looked at, studied it, dreamt about it. I am on the fence about it. I would try to mold a piece of plastic that could be glue in to help with integrity, and also keep out water and such that would negatively affect the foam. Please figure it out so I can copy!

I don't know about the 450, but the 250X puts the battery under the rear of the seat. I entertained thoughts of building a box below the seat pan, down into the fender, similar to the 250X. I wonder if you could fit up a fender from the X???

Do you know if the 450X fender has the pocket for the battery molded in it?

No I dont. Does anyone?

You know, if you're WFO in the dust, is a filter in the airbox really going to stay cleaner than an exposed pod filter?

Dave

You know, if you're WFO in the dust, is a filter in the airbox really going to stay cleaner than an exposed pod filter?

Dave

Man thats a good point........:smirk:

I would THINK that it the filter in the box would still be better. The pod is only one layer.....

Is there enough room under the seat if you were to cut open the top of the airbox and weld a couple of metal drop brackets to the frame rails so as to lower the battery into the airbox a bit? If so, it might minimize the depth that you would have to cut into the seat.

OK here is the stock XR600R before the battery mount:

136_3646.jpg

It clearly shows the 2 frame tabs that the airbox bolts to.

Here is the modified XR600 with battery tray:

IMG_4142.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

here are some other pics of seat cut out:

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

Note that the wiring etc is a problem - you really need to scrunch it all up and relcoate. I recloated my wiring down next to the rear shock. But I have XR600 R wiring with the electric start option so you're might be neater.

Things to remember:

I was using a XR650L CDI which is a large unit. Much bigger than the stock XR600 CDI.

Thee Yuasa 450X battery is awesome - never let me down.

I have 100watts devoted solely to powering the battery.

I run my bike in offroad trim - no high low or blinkers etc.

I only cut one airbox tab off my frame - the XR is built so tough that it barely notices it. I've ridden 2000km with it like it is and no signs of failing. This mount works.

Possible gotchyas:

1. XR650L airbox not sitting as low as the XR600 R airbox - would only mean cutting more from the seat

2. I use hard seat foam. Checlk what you use on your L

3. Not having the spirit to follow this through - it's easy - wires can be lengthened and bent. It's not too difficult.

4. Consider reviewing your charging circuits - I know for a fact the 650L rectificer is an excellent quality unit so keep that part.