Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Family Man

Metal in Oil 07 yz450f

5 posts in this topic

I recently changed my oil and found little peices of metal in the filter. some of them are atracted to a magnet, I read on thumpertalk that this could mean bearing failure? :smirk: I can hear kind of a tapping noise from time to time at idle, not sure if its related but sounds like it to me. Should I tear it apart and change some bearing or is it normal wear and tear? How difficult is it to change out bearings? I change the oil and clean the filter every 3-4 gallons of gas.

plese keep me posted , mine (07 yz 450f ) is in the shop now trying to get yamaha to help out not sure its going to happen or not but my cyl plating peeled and got in the rod bearing and made the crank fail , if more than one bike is doing this then we need to get together and hit up yamaha ,.I know a race bike only has a 30 day warranty but eng failer at 8 months after being well maintained just aint right .

Metal on the oil filter is entirely normal. It is the amount and character of it that can indicate trouble. There is a transmission in you engine oil, which will always be a source of steel debris, and also a clutch with an aluminum basket. The key is to watch for a larger than normal amount of chips or shavings, or ones that look different. Bearings that are flaking will produce a lot of squarish chips about 1mm or less in size.

So just keep and eye out for square shaped metal pieces? The steel peices look like slivers. Most of the metal peices are aluminum.

I'll also keep track of the amount of metal in the oil on the next oil change vs this one and if theres no difference its probley just wear and tear?

So just keep and eye out for square shaped metal pieces? The steel peices look like slivers. Most of the metal peices are aluminum.

I'll also keep track of the amount of metal in the oil on the next oil change vs this one and if theres no difference its probley just wear and tear?

Pretty much.