Coolant overflow tank

Can anyone tell me approximately how much fluid the coolant overflow tank will hold on a WR450? I am thinking of using one for a reserve fuel tank on my YZ250.

Can anyone tell me approximately how much fluid the coolant overflow tank holds on a WR450?

Mine looks like approximately 15-20oz any given day. Very rough est. though.

It doesn't hold alot. On a smoker, I'm not sure It'd make a difference between getting back to the truck or getting stuck on the trail.

I think an oversized gas tank is what you're looking for.

Plus, the plastic may not be suitable to carry gasoline :smirk:

It doesn't hold alot. On a smoker, I'm not sure It'd make a difference between getting back to the truck or getting stuck on the trail.

I think an oversized gas tank is what you're looking for.

Plus, the plastic may not be suitable to carry gasoline :smirk:

I have had the IMS oversize tank and didn't like it and sold it. I hate the way it pushes the front of the seat up. I actually carry two 33oz MSR fuel cylinders in a backpack. I am just looking to add a little extra. I just need to know how much it will hold.

That's, really, a really, really bad idea.

sincerely,

Roman Candles

That's, really, a really, really bad idea.

sincerely,

Roman Candles

How do you figure? If you are talking about the overflow tank for fuel it has been done before. Even aftermarket companies use the same concept. If you are talking about the MSR fuel cylinders I could lay them in a path and let you run over them repeatedly and you wouldn't puncture one.

How do you figure? If you are talking about the overflow tank for fuel it has been done before. Even aftermarket companies use the same concept. If you are talking about the MSR fuel cylinders I could lay them in a path and let you run over them repeatedly and you wouldn't puncture one.

It's a coolant bottle not a fuel tank.!

It's really not that sturdy.

It's a coolant bottle not a fuel tank.!

It's really not that sturdy.

I just asked a simple question of how much fluid it holds. That is all!! I didn't ask for opinions if it would work. I know it will.

I just asked a simple question of how much fluid it holds. That is all!! I didn't ask for opinions if it would work. I know it will.

Hey Johhny

The tank from my 07 450 is off the bike at the moment. I just checked the volume with a measuring cup - it holds 17.5 ounces.

The overflow bottle on my 99 400 is quite a bit bigger, I'd guess at least double the size of the 07.

Hey Johhny

The tank from my 07 450 is off the bike at the moment. I just checked the volume with a measuring cup - it holds 17.5 ounces.

The overflow bottle on my 99 400 is quite a bit bigger, I'd guess at least double the size of the 07.

I appreciate the information. I added fuel to your gauge.:smirk:

Hey Johhny

I have one more question for you. Does the 99 tank cap screw on or is it like a windshield washer bottle cap that snaps on?

I have to actually go to a 98 on the parts microfiche to get a different part number and it looks like the cap is different. The 99 and up is giving the same part number. I have noticed in pictures on here that one looked bigger.

I have one more question for you. Does the 99 tank cap screw on or is it like a windshield washer bottle cap that snaps on?

I have to actually go to a 98 on the parts microfiche to get a different part number and it looks like the cap is different. The 99 and up is giving the same part number. I have noticed in pictures on here that one looked bigger.

The cap screws on, and it's fairly heavy duty.

To give you an idea of size difference, here is an overflow side and end view. The different shapes threw me off. Once you look at them side by side, the 400 is bigger, but maybe not double. maybe I'll drain it tonight and see how much juice it holds.

The cap screws on, and it's fairly heavy duty.

To give you an idea of size difference, here is an overflow side and end view. The different shapes threw me off. Once you look at them side by side, the 400 is bigger, but maybe not double. maybe I'll drain it tonight and see how much juice it holds.

I definitely appreciate all the help.

No problem at all.

Sounds like a cool idea. Never heard of it. Reserve x 2:thumbsup: Do you plan to mount it on the subframe in a similar fashion? If so re post. I would like to know if there are any clearance issues with the back tire.

Baja Designs (and probably others) sell side panel aux fuel tanks. Good part: They hold 1.2 gallons... many times more than the thin coolant bottle. These are thick and take abuse. They are not cheap.. between $150-200. Just a thought. Knowledge is power, you know. :smirk:

Baja Designs (and probably others) sell side panel aux fuel tanks. Good part: They hold 1.2 gallons... many times more than the thin coolant bottle. These are thick and take abuse. They are not cheap.. between $150-200. Just a thought. Knowledge is power, you know. :smirk:

Anybody have a pic of the above tank?