HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nickeenoo

How to improve cockpit room without hurting performance?

7 posts in this topic

I would like a little more room in the cockpit on my 07 YZ450 but as was pointed out in a recent thread I don't want to hurt performance. The specific item pointed out was that raising the bars hurt steering because it caused you to sit further back.

I am 6'00" and feel I need just a bit more room but I don't want to hurt perfornance. What do I do?

Thanks,

Nate

You can get a set of 10mm taller bar clamps from applied racing. They really opened up the legroom on my 06. I also run the Henry/Reed bend protapers on that bike. I am 6'2".

The specific item pointed out was that raising the bars hurt steering because it caused you to sit further back.
That was an opinion, and one which I disagree with. It is true that using bar risers moves the mounting point of the bars back slightly, but they can be rolled forward to compensate, and the same problem does not occur with taller bars not mounted in risers.

Bars that are too low cause steering issues on the YZF because the riders arms angle down too much. Control and feedback are compromised, and the rider often actually tends to move rearward to improve the angle his arms have on the grips. While the logic that higher bars make you sit more upright and thus move your weight back seems sound, in practice it often works in reverse.

My son is 6'3", and the only compensation he has made for his height is a set of Windham bend bars in the stock bar mounts. But everyone is different, and you may like an alternative setup. Often, though, it becomes a simple matter of consciously changing your seating position on the bike to move yourself more forward than you normally sit.

That was an opinion, and one which I disagree with. It is true that using bar risers moves the mounting point of the bars back slightly, but they can be rolled forward to compensate, and the same problem does not occur with taller bars not mounted in risers.

Wouldn't getting taller bar risers that also move the mounting point forward a bit cancel out that issue?

Thanks for the replies. I will probably start with a taller bar and see what the does. Does a taller seat help with handling?

Nate

Wouldn't getting taller bar risers that also move the mounting point forward a bit cancel out that issue?

Sure. Then too, there are triple clamps that offer an additional set of mounting holes forward of the normal position that can also be used.

Thanks for the replies. I will probably start with a taller bar and see what the does. Does a taller seat help with handling?

Some feel that it helps them by flattening the seat platform, which opens their legs up a little, and makes it easier to stand or move forward.

Nate

no question about it....it will help you get forward or back on the bike easier as well as increase the height from pegs to top of seat. :smirk: