Why so many kicks?

I bought my '07 WR450 at then end of September of last year and got the bike barely broken in with only a week of riding on it. Since then its sat in the garage for the winter. The electric start works but takes longer than I would expect it to. And for some reason it takes forever to kick start. Atleast 20-30 kicks. Is this normal? Even with the choke engaged? Could it be the spark plug on a brand new bike? The bike is completely stock (I'm trying to learn to ride in its slower, corked form). I dont know if this means anything, but after I finally get it started and I shut off the bike it lets out a small *puf* or backfire in the exhaust.

A stock bike in your neighborhood is going to be jetted way wrong and that will be most of your starting issues. Correctly jetted it should never take more than a few kicks to get it going. Go to the info in the stickies at the top of the forum and get the mods and the jetting done. Hopefully you have new gas in the tank. You aren't doing yourself or the bike ANY favors by riding it in the stock configuration. If the bike is a bit much at first, roll right wrist up ! WR Dave.

How old is the fuel in the bike?

Gasoline doesn't keep forever, even with stabilizer. The other problem is that gasoline refiners 'blend' the fuel for different climates and temperatures.

Fuel purchased in the summer is not the same as fuel sold during winter. Gasoline sold during the summer months has a lower vapor pressure to slow down evaporation and prevent vapor-lock. Winter gas has a higher content of more volatile hydrocarbons and a higher vapor pressure to promote easy starting and reduce icing.

Put in a new plug and drain the old gas. Put in fresh gas (not from a can sitting with last years gas in it) and try starting again.

At least yours starts! My 02 426 will not light up at all......I've trying for about an hour with not even a fart out the exhaust. Tried a bump start down the laneway, but all that did was take some rubber off the tire!

Tipped it on it's side to see if there was gas in the bowl, and there is. It looks/smells fine (high test I use for the sled/snowblower that was purchased about a month ago), so I guess I need to check for spark.

When the bike is in regular use, it fires up great. Maybe sitting all winter in a heated garage has spoiled her? I drained the tank and ran the carb dry last fall. Are they just really cold-blooded?

I came in to check TT to see if others were having similar issues.

Your in the cold whether just like me. For the first time starting for day at anything below 50 degrees (F), I twist the throttle 4 times to squirt some fuel

into the sytem. Then just kick it. Should fire within 4 kicks. If it doesn't give a couple more twists on the throttle. Don't go past six or seven twists or you will flood it.

Tried the twist of the throttle to get the A/P to shoot some crushed up dinosaurs into the engine, but still no go. Took the spark plug out (who is responsible for that design abortion?!?) to check the condition, see if there is spark. The plug wasn't wet, and did have good spark, so I injected some fuel into the CC and tried to fire the beast up.....not even a hiccup.

I have seen sparkplugs before that have worked outside the engine, but not in...but it sure would be a coincidence to happen now, however stranger things have happened. So I guess that will be my next first thing to try. Can't hurt to have a spare plug laying around huh?

So all this is because I started lavishing attention on the be-atch. First of all I bought some Dirtly handlebar risers (nice units at a really nice price). Then I needed to replace fork seals, so I went and got Synergy seals for her. That went well and so I thought the Rekluse install would be next. I thought that I'd start her up to just to hear her run.....and you know what happened after that.

I will get some fresh high test and a new spark plug tomorrow and see what happens....sure hope I get a fart from the engine to let me know I'm on the right track.

At least yours starts! My 02 426 will not light up at all......I've trying for about an hour with not even a fart out the exhaust. Tried a bump start down the laneway, but all that did was take some rubber off the tire!

Tipped it on it's side to see if there was gas in the bowl, and there is. It looks/smells fine (high test I use for the sled/snowblower that was purchased about a month ago), so I guess I need to check for spark.

When the bike is in regular use, it fires up great. Maybe sitting all winter in a heated garage has spoiled her? I drained the tank and ran the carb dry last fall. Are they just really cold-blooded?

I came in to check TT to see if others were having similar issues.

I also have an 02 426 and in the cold I have always suffered with it. I have found that it starts better if I kick it over about 10 times then walk away for about 30 minutes. Go back and start kicking, after the 5th or 6th kick it will fart and then I know it is going to fire soon. Another 5 or so kicks and it is running fine. I have read on here that there are others that kick their bike 2 or 3 times and it is running. I am not sure what they have different then ours but I would love to figure it out. I have cosidered upgrading to a newer model with the button just to keep from wearing out the sole on my right boot. Luckily I do have the 03 exhaust cam so I can kick it over without breaking my leg. If you figure it out, please let me know.

A stock bike in your neighborhood is going to be jetted way wrong and that will be most of your starting issues. Correctly jetted it should never take more than a few kicks to get it going. Go to the info in the stickies at the top of the forum and get the mods and the jetting done. Hopefully you have new gas in the tank. You aren't doing yourself or the bike ANY favors by riding it in the stock configuration. If the bike is a bit much at first, roll right wrist up ! WR Dave.

my 07 wr 450 was imposible to kick start when I got it every jet in it was way wrong and my pump did not work . heck the bike would only start if you did not choke it . I started it the one day it was cover with snow with no choke . after rejetted . it starts the 2nd kick . I stuck mine on a dyno to get the readings to jet mine . it was the best money I spent.