Oiless air filters?????

I saw an Ad in Dirt Rider this month for AFE Air Filters http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/ADVANCE-FLOW-ENGINEERING-ARIES-AE2-INTAKE-KT-YAM-W-p/tr22-9116.htm

Have any of you heard of these and if so, do they work? I am all for making the air filter cleaning job easier, but I'm not sure how well these work. And if you look closely you gotta wonder how well they fit in the airbox. I am sure they are similar to K&N filters, but I haven't heard how they work next to foam either. Any advice would be great. I know this could end up being as controversial a topic as engine oil, so I'm sorry in advance if this turns out to be a long thread.

I saw an Ad in Dirt Rider this month for AFE Air Filters http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/ADVANCE-FLOW-ENGINEERING-ARIES-AE2-INTAKE-KT-YAM-W-p/tr22-9116.htm

Have any of you heard of these and if so, do they work? I am all for making the air filter cleaning job easier, but I'm not sure how well these work. And if you look closely you gotta wonder how well they fit in the airbox. I am sure they are similar to K&N filters, but I haven't heard how they work next to foam either. Any advice would be great. I know this could end up being as controversial a topic as engine oil, so I'm sorry in advance if this turns out to be a long thread.

Haven't ever seen these but look just like an air filter to me. Should be good. All that I would question might be the losses you may have as pulling air through a paper filter is much harder than through a foamy. Plus for 80 to111 bucks+ I could buy like 8-10 foamys and filter changes would be prett dang easy versus one assembly/filter for 80-111 bucks

Ready filters same catalog

I seen the AFE POWER FILTERS at the 2008 Dealer Expo.

Havent tested jet but i will defenetly buy them for my costumers for our stores in Panama and Costa Rica.

This filtes is oil Free! Yes, no more oil to put on to filters! Wash it and thats it.

They look just like the K & N but oil Free!

I will use it and let you guys now!

An AFE or K&N filter will not filter dirt as well as a properly oiled foam air filter. The only way to get equal filtration is by running a prefilter. By running a prefilter you will now restrict airflow below what a oiled foam filter will offer so what's the point. I prefer to use a TwinAir foam filter with Maxima FFT oil. NoToil oil is also good if you want easier filter maintenance, but won't provide protection during stream crossing like a petroleum based oil will.

• 1 month later...

So I know a little about these filters. I have a friend that works for aFe. I've talked to him a lot about these - even tested one of the AE1 filters on my RM for a while. Here is what I know:

The AE2, which is I think what a lot of you are talking about, IS a two-piece filter. The outer filter is oil-free. It uses a brand-new synthetic material never used before (that's why the OEs haven't put it on the bikes from the factory). The inner filter is oiled. It uses aFe's Pro Guard 7 material they developed for the diesel market. Diesel guys have very expensive motors and turbos and are very picky about their air filter. Apparently the diesel guys swear by this Pro Guard 7 material.

My friend tells me that the outer filter needs to be cleaned every 2-3 rides and the inner filter needs to be cleaned every 2-3 months. The outer filter can be cleaned with soapy water. The inner oiled filter gets cleaned with their cleaning kit, but he says it's way easier than foam - less messy and doesn't smell.

As for the wet or muddy conditions, he says no problem. He says that water doesn't like to flow through the dry media. I guess water is a much bigger particle than air. So air flows through easily and water does not. Plus the guy on the 50 probably had an exposed filter. Inside a stock airbox the amount of water or mud that reaches the filter should be much less. And the AE2 kit raises the water level about 3-4 inches over a foam filter. So you should be able to ride in deeper water without the risk of flooding out.

I asked him about air flow and dyno numbers. He told me that there is no increase or decrease in air flow over stock or aftermarket foam. He says that the intake boot on the carburetor limits the amount of air that can flow into the motor, so the filter has no effect. You don't need to change jetting or anything else, so there is no effect on power or performance either. I guess it's all about convenience.

I hate cleaning filters. After 31 years of cleaning foam air filters, I was very excited to test one of these. I loved it! It let a little bit of really fine dust through, but so did my foam. I inspected the intake boot after both filters and found no real difference between the amount of dust either let in. But I also live in southern california and ride in some super dusty conditions.

From my own personal experience I think they are worth a look. I did ask about when they are going to be available. I think some of the filters, like the one for my bike, are available now. The AE2 for the CRF's is supposed to be out in a couple of weeks. I think in the first week of May or something. I know their web site has info.

If anyone tries one, let me know what you think.

AW

I have heard pretty much the same as AdrenalineWarfare states.

Though I am not sure it is worth the additional cost Vs. having a few foam filters and when they are all dirty, having a filter cleaning party, get the messy job done once or twice a year to a bunch. Really not a lot more work when you do them all at once.

I am all for making the air filter cleaning job easier

Have you tried or thought about using filter skins?

I use them om my 05 here in dusty, dry Thailand and they do a great job in catching heaps of shit before it gets to the filter. Just oil them and fit over the standard filter, takes about 1 minute to fit.

I now clean the filters every other ride, used to be needed after every ride.