HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigtooth

I messed up my shock....

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Its been awhile since I posted, probobly has something to do with the seriously long winter were having here in VT.

Anyway....I have been in the process of tearing down the pig ('03 650r) and today I got my shock apart for re-shiming and my swing arm apart for greasing. Well the swing arm went well, but the shock, not so much.

I didnt grind off enough of the peen on the end of the rod to get the shims and valve off and really messed up the end of the rod..:)

It felt like the nut was unthreading but instead it was tearing the top end of the rod off, right at the top of threads. Like 3/4 of the top thread just got ripped off.

Well a new rod from bikebandit.com is $265 :ride: So I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced a shock rod before? They must get bent from time to time :smirk: . So where should I look for a cheaper rod, besides ebay - where there is currently nothing. Anybody have one kicking around? I have an extra xr600r shock kicking around if anyone is interseted....

Replaced a rm shaft this year. I think we got it from east coast suspension.Was like a hundred bucks You can find a link here on TT.

That guy ("keep it roostn" or something like that)that parts out new 650 bikes on e-bay will up the bid until he gets what he wants.I think he's been trying to part that same bike out for 2 years!

Replaced a rm shaft this year. I think we got it from east coast suspension.Was like a hundred bucks You can find a link here on TT.

That guy ("keep it roostn" or something like that)that parts out new 650 bikes on e-bay will up the bid until he gets what he wants.I think he's been trying to part that same bike out for 2 years!

Bought lots of stuff from this guy with no problems and fair prices. His stuff goes anywhere between 40-60% off except plastics for some reason. I've bought axles, swingarm, linkage and other parts over the last 6-8 months.

Bought lots of stuff from this guy with no problems and fair prices. His stuff goes anywhere between 40-60% off except plastics for some reason. I've bought axles, swingarm, linkage and other parts over the last 6-8 months.

That sounds right,Iv'e tried to get plastic a couple of times and finally gave up on him.But i'll try again if i break other things.

Thanks

I thought his stuff was kind of pricey also, but I also was watching the plastices mostly.

No shock for sale from him at the moment......

service hondas price is around $185 - a bit better for sure!

Just wanted to bump this up with the hopes that someone might have a spare 650r shock or rod laying around. Thanks!

I was looking for a CR85 flatslide carb to put on my mom's CR80 and that guy wanted $70 more for a used carb than I can buy a brand new one for from Service Honda. He wasn't the only seller doing that though, just the most expensive.

I am betting you don't need to replace anything. When you revalve leave one of the spacer washers off of the shaft. There will still be enough stack height to clamp the piston/shims just fine. That will more than make up for the missing part of one thread. If you are set on buying a new shock, can I have your "ruined" one. Seriously.

Yeah I thought it might still be useable. Didnt think about leaving off one of the spacers. I'll try to take some pictures of it tonight.

I leave off at least two of the spacers, as long as the big base washer is above (goes past the lip) you do not need any spacers.

I've uploaded some pics of the threaded end of the rod. I guess i'm mainly worried about the a)the size of the hole on the top of the rod :thumbsup: being able to peen the end of the rod again.

P3140134.jpg

P3140133.jpg

P3130126.jpg