Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
djtroy

Tire question

12 posts in this topic

Is anyone on an 06 or 07 450 running different tire sizes than stock? I think the 08's come with different tire sizes. I ride in the sand 90% of the time.

The 08 comes with a 120/80/19 Dunlop 756 in the rear and an 80/100/21 Dunlop 742FA in the front.

I am running the Bridgestone M202 120/80/19 in the rear and I really like it. For the front I am going to stick with the same size and get a D756.

However, I am getting ready to lace up a new rear wheel and I am going to do an 18 inch rim this time. I dont know if I will run the 110/100/18 or a 120/90/18 though. It will most likely be a either a bridgestone M202 or M404 or a Dunlop 952.

I don't care for the larger tires on either end of the bike. I run a 80/100 front and a 110/90 rear. A 120/80 might be different, but I doubt it would be suitable as a desert tire (short sidewalls)

runnin ms3's 110 on the rear 80 up front. for the sand, being the michelins sidewalls are so stout, i run 8-9 lbs

Im sure we run the same tracks. I know dirt is hard to come by.

i just put a new 404 120/80-19 on and a 201 90/100-21 on my new a60s will let you know. the bike has a really tough look to it and i went to a 22.5 triple clamp.

I don't care for the larger tires on either end of the bike. I run a 80/100 front and a 110/90 rear. A 120/80 might be different, but I doubt it would be suitable as a desert tire (short sidewalls)

The only reason yamaha runs the larger rear tire on the 08 is because it is 300 grams lighter than the smaller version of the same.

If you want to help the YZF's steer better, you should run the smaller 110/90 in the rear and an 80/100 in the front (for motocross of course). This smaller rear tire has a quicker roll in turns and actually helps the big lunger limber up.

yea. but i was actually faster on the track with the 12o. but it was a 756 and i will see how the wider front does. its really not that noticably bigger. i filled up a 756 front next to it and it looks the same.

Im sure we run the same tracks. I know dirt is hard to come by.

true, sand is pretty common around here. my local track, about 20 miles out is actually dug out of a borrow pit, so its half clay. but the sand tire works great unless it gets blue grooved.

The only reason yamaha runs the larger rear tire on the 08 is because it is 300 grams lighter than the smaller version of the same.

A 120/80 isn't larger than a 110/90. It's roughly an equivalent height (it's actually 4 mm shorter in theory), and only 10mm wider. 756's have always been relatively light tires, too. People have made a great deal out of the "larger tire rolls slower" argument, but I don't find any merit in it in my experience with them. My main gripe with 120's in general (120/90's) is weight. That, I can feel. The traction is not enormously improved by the extra width, either, so they don't really appeal to me.

At the front, I have found 90/100 tires fairly effective on hard pack, but never had one that I liked in softer soils. The 90 also seemed less stable at speed in soft ground, as it tends to grab at the sides of ruts more, since the side lugs are farther fron the center of the tire. And again, they are heavier.

But as I said, a 120/80 is a potentially interesting tire. Not in a 756, but in general.