broken wrist.. what brace to use after recover?

hello, jus broke my right wrist riding last sunday... broke my scaphoid (navicular) and might need to get screws...: ( annnnway i have a good 3 months before i can take off this cast/brace thing but the doc says ima need to get myself a good brace if i wanna keep riding.... any suggestions??? ?

I have one that I use on my left wrist that I had broke back in July. It is not really a name brand brace but it has a metal flat bar that contours on the bottom up into my palm and another that goes across the top. I have been riding with this brace for a while now. I never really stopped riding. I even raced 3 races with my cast on. LOL anyways. It is a great brack that keeps my wrist nice and straight.

I have one that I use on my left wrist that I had broke back in July. It is not really a name brand brace but it has a metal flat bar that contours on the bottom up into my palm and another that goes across the top. I have been riding with this brace for a while now. I never really stopped riding. I even raced 3 races with my cast on. LOL anyways. It is a great brack that keeps my wrist nice and straight.

I'v got a box full of the those braces- they work ok for short riding but that metal bar gets to be painfull quick and the ones that have the bar under your hand wear through in about 1 ride. Your best bet there is to use an evs brace and add a couple stiffeners to it. Or do what I finally did and get a custom one made. The last time I got injured I broke both bones in both arms at the wrist and because my left wrist wasnt set right (it was also dislocated) my wrist ended up pretty crooked. A regular brace didnt work really at all so I got insurance to pay the bulk of an $1800 wrist brace thats made from carbon fiber from a mold taken from your wrist with stops set to where your limits should be.

I've got a CTI wrist brace, but not the custom one. Got it after I broke my wrist and I really like it. It is incredibly light (carbon fiber) and I don't notice it at all when I ride. I run the most resticting stop and it doesn't hinder my movement enough to have an effect on my riding. It doesn get a little warm when riding though, but not that much.

Man that little scaphoid fracture can be a big deal. I fractured mine in a low side at V.I.R. in turn 10 (a strange place to go down) like three years ago. I was a cigarette smoker at the time and all that did was slow the healing process down resulting in me having to wear an elbow cast for over six months and then a removable brace for another six. I also had to use a bone stimulator to encourage healing. Long story short, I still ride and have been back to V.I.R. and off road now too, but my wrist motion and strength, or should I say the lack of, sometimes can hurt my confidence.

Best luck with your recovery. I think I'm gonna try one of those CTI braces.

Man that little scaphoid fracture can be a big deal. I fractured mine in a low side at V.I.R. in turn 10 (a strange place to go down) like three years ago. I was a cigarette smoker at the time and all that did was slow the healing process down resulting in me having to wear an elbow cast for over six months and then a removable brace for another six. I also had to use a bone stimulator to encourage healing. Long story short, I still ride and have been back to V.I.R. and off road now too, but my wrist motion and strength, or should I say the lack of, sometimes can hurt my confidence.

Best luck with your recovery. I think I'm gonna try one of those CTI braces.

It sucks that you still feel the affects of that. I'm fortunate that I pretty much have 100% movement & strength after full recovery. I gotta give props to the Orthopeadic doctor I used! ?

-Mike

The problem with the scaphoid bone is avascular necrosis. I broke my wrist the first month a got my bike. I bought a CTI otc. It works great. Highly recommend it.

Thanks Doc. That scaphoid has a limited blood supply, hence the long healing time, and if you are a cigarette smoker you might as well forget about it. Something to do with the capularies (sp) spazing and reducing the oxygen and blood flow to the bone. I can't remember exactly but it goes something like that.

I had never heard about the CTS brace but there is little doubt now that I will be purchasing one in the near future. It would be nice to have added support as I am not 100% confident in the use of my injured hand especially on jumps.

I'v got a box full of the those braces- they work ok for short riding but that metal bar gets to be painfull quick and the ones that have the bar under your hand wear through in about 1 ride. Your best bet there is to use an evs brace and add a couple stiffeners to it. Or do what I finally did and get a custom one made. The last time I got injured I broke both bones in both arms at the wrist and because my left wrist wasnt set right (it was also dislocated) my wrist ended up pretty crooked. A regular brace didnt work really at all so I got insurance to pay the bulk of an $1800 wrist brace thats made from carbon fiber from a mold taken from your wrist with stops set to where your limits should be.

I have used this same brace since september. I have ran 2 races a month consisting of 2 30 min. motos each. Plus riding 3 times a week and also weekends. My brace looks and works the same as it did on day one.

After I broke my radius right at the wrist (3 screws and a plate), I bought an EVS wrist brace. It has 2 stiffeners, but I removed one to give my wrist a little flex. My wrist has been healed for 3 years, but I still wear the brace. I can tell that my once broken wrist isn't as strong as my good wrist. Which is weird, the doc's think its all in my head, but I still feel like I need the brace.

I'm 4 weeks outta my cast from crushing my 1st metacarpal into the scaphoid bone. Shattering both. I have quite a bit of metal with plates and screws. (Arenacross wipeout last October.) Racing starts in 2 weeks!! Alright! The info on the CTI brace is awesome, I've read articles on it but wondered what it feels like having it on. My boss..read wife, is getting fed-up with me buying crash protection that I can't get adjusted to wearing. My plan "b" was going to be gauze and duct tape.

I broke my scaphoid and had a screw put in. I wore a CTI for a while until my wrist strenthend up. It was awesome, didn't even know it was there. No hinderance what so ever. Now I don't wear anything.

I do have my CTI up for sale in the classifieds (shameless plug) But I origionally bought it from where else... the TT Store.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2007/default.asp?p=159

Don't forget to put the part number in the box on the top right to actually get the price YOU will pay. Its not retail. ?

Man that little scaphoid fracture can be a big deal. .

? Sure can if you have Kaiser Permanente who doesn't give a rats ass other than putting on casts and hoping the thing may heal it self someday so they don't have to payout for surgery.

Broke mine a week before Thanksgiving with still no signs of healing but surgery is out of the question, maybe next month.

Only good thing to come of this is, I'm finally sick & tired and fed up dealing with Kaiser Permanente and when the next insurance cycle comes around were leaving and going to another Insurance program.

A insurance program that let's you actually see a DOCTOR instead of a PA.?:ride: :ride: