HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
martinfan30

Chain advise/opinions

12 posts in this topic

Just ordered a set of JT sprockets (14/46). Just a hair lower than my 15/48.

3.29 vs 3.2.

I actually want your advise and opinions on which chain to buy. 520-110.

Thanks,

Judge.

Personal opinion, if money is no object - DID X Ring Gold, if you are a cheap b*****d like me - Primary Drive X Ring.

Now the 64 dollar question, clipped or staked link?

The last chain that I had was a RK RDO and it lasted 5 or 6 (7?) years. Then I replaced it with a Primary Drive O-ring chain. Check my Avatar as to what happened to that chain. It didn't last a year. They actually stood behind their product and refunded the price of that chain. I replaced it with the X-ring version and it is much heavier duty. It's been working fine since I got it.

Any of the big brand chains are good. I have a preference for DID and Tsubaki.

I go through a chain a season and have found the DID VM X- Ring to be very good. Sunstar steel sprockets are also very good. A season for me is about 5K miles of desert riding.

Broke the master link on a Parts Unlimited O-ring. That was an emergency buy and I was told it was an EK. After it broke I researched the part number and was not happy to find that I had been mislead.

Now it's an RK XSO and so far so good. This on a supermoto with no cush drive.

Judge,I think one of the most important things to rember is we ride torque monsters,so tensel strength is very important.I've got to get new sprockets and a chain soon.I heard that aluminum sprockets are too soft for the torque of a large 4 stroke.

Judge,I think one of the most important things to rember is we ride torque monsters,so tensel strength is very important.I've got to get new sprockets and a chain soon.I heard that aluminum sprockets are too soft for the torque of a large 4 stroke.

I could go through 5 aluminum sprockets to 1 Sunstar steel. I just bought a new rim, sprocket and rotor for the R off Ebay, the sprocket did not last the life of 2 tires and that's less than a thousand miles.

I could go through 5 aluminum sprockets to 1 Sunstar steel. I just bought a new rim, sprocket and rotor for the R off Ebay, the sprocket did not last the life of 2 tires and that's less than a thousand miles.

Have you tried the Ironman Sprockets? Which steel Sunstar sprockets are you using? The standard stock model or the Works 2 stainless steel model?

Thanks for all the input fellas.:smirk:

I settled on JT sprockets and an RK 520XSO chain.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have a handful of favorite brands that include Regina, RK, DID, and one or two others I forgot. There's a DID on my 600 right now with Renthal sprockets.

Have you tried the Ironman Sprockets? Which steel Sunstar sprockets are you using? The standard stock model or the Works 2 stainless steel model?

Just the plain $35 steel sprocket. I tried a Sidewinder once and it did not last as long as the Sunstar and was more than twice the price.

:smirk: