Chain press

Just installed primary drive chain and sprockets it came with a master link that I needed a chain press for before I could put on the clip well guess what I don't have one so I used two small sockets and a c clamp worked great.

That's all I ever use to compress those o-rings enough - nuts work well too (the metal kind, not the edible ones)

Just installed primary drive chain and sprockets it came with a master link that I needed a chain press for before I could put on the clip well guess what I don't have one so I used two small sockets and a c clamp worked great.

Can you post a pic of this in action...I can't dream this up too good.

you know when you put the master link on the chain, and it's the o-ring kind that doesn't protrude through enough to catch the slots with the locking clip?

You end up needing to squeeze the master link through using a chain press or "homemade chain press" enough to get the locking clip on, well, he's talking about how he used a clamp with two sockets to space over where the master link prongs will come through the front of the chain when he tightens the clamp.

Here's a pic of a chain press, since a clamp is flat (this has those 2 little holes), it would hit the prongs as soon as they try to protrude, nuts or sockets will space it for you.

mn08-0066.jpg

I use an extra chain link side plate with a C clamp. Works great.

you know when you put the master link on the chain, and it's the o-ring kind that doesn't protrude through enough to catch the slots with the locking clip?

You end up needing to squeeze the master link through using a chain press or "homemade chain press" enough to get the locking clip on, well, he's talking about how he used a clamp with two sockets to space over where the master link prongs will come through the front of the chain when he tightens the clamp.

Here's a pic of a chain press, since a clamp is flat (this has those 2 little holes), it would hit the prongs as soon as they try to protrude, nuts or sockets will space it for you.

mn08-0066.jpg

So I am assuming that the locking clip is going to be placed beneath the sockets in this process. :smirk: Hmmm that sounds like a winner!

I use an extra chain link side plate with a C clamp. Works great.

Nuther good idea:thumbsup:

I haven't needed to do that, I just clamp it down, release the clamp and slide the locking clip in place - I've done many and have never had it re-seperate after the clamping, I believe you need to pry it apart afterwards because of the tight tolerance on the side plate, the rubber orings wanting to expand doesn't provide enough force to move the plate back out.

Not sure what would happen to the lock clip if you tried to push it on instead of slide it on.....

Oh, and I don't have to clamp anything on non oring chains - they seem to go together without issues.

i just pushed mine on my o-ring RK chain with my fingers . i would use vice grips if i didn't have leather hands though

i just pushed mine on my o-ring RK chain with my fingers . i would use vice grips if i didn't have leather hands though

Yea I put chain on my friends xr and did not need any press.

I think this might depend on your chain type.. My Yamaha has a 520 DID V6 O-ring... and there is no way to get that clip on the masterlink. This is simply because it is too difficult to compress the o-rings below the plate. I have distroyed the masterlink trying to use vice-grips.:thumbsup: Problem here is, the pressure is uneven and it bends the plate. Definitely need to press the plate on first with one of the ideas above (sockets, nuts, press) to get even pressure against the plate before attempting the clip.

And agreed, non-Oring chains do not have this complication.

I just installed a Regina and the old needle nose vise grip worked great, you just have to get the o-rings "set" by clamping down and then it stays in place... at least long enuf to get the clip slid on...

I have had struggles with DID before..:thumbsup: