Any of u guys use a yz450 for hare scrambles

I am going to get a new bike at the beginning of the summer and I plan on racing hare scrambles with some moto thrown in. I have narrowed down my selection to either a yz250 or a yz450f. I cant decide, but I find myslef leaning towards the 450, i need to know how they handle in hs races and how they last in the maintenence department. Thanks

You can't go wrong with either bike. I prefer the 450 and that's what I use mine for. My son rides a YZ250. I just like the smooth luggable power for the woods and then when I'm racing in open stuff it just rips. The YZ250 is an excellent offroad motor as well and the bike will be a little lighter and a little more flickable in the tight stuff than a 450F.

IMO it simply comes down to whether you prefer a two stroke or a four stroke.

This is assuming that you are looking at an '06 or newer 450 with the aluminum frame and 5 speed tranny. If you are looking at the older 450's with the four speed tranny then I would say go with the YZ250 instead.

I currently own both, '07's.

Its such a toss up, which bike is better. They are both awesome. I think the tighter & nastier the terrain, the more the 250 shines. When the race is more fast & rough, I think the 450 is better.

Maintenance-wise, the 250 is a little easier to live with, mostly because of the simpler oil changes, and no valve adjustments. Mind you, Yamaha 4-strokes hardly ever need valve attention.

Overall, I like my 450 better. Its just an easier bike for me to ride than the 250. The 250 hits hard & fast, while the 450 has a more linear, torquey power delivery that better suits my slow-poke "roll on the throttle" style.

Like I said before, tough choice. Both bikes are great off-road racers.

Ok nice, what about maintenance, im coming off a crf250x and that has been plagued by valve problems. How are the yzfs in the maintenance area?

Well, lets put it this way...if you were really bored some weekend and had absolutely nothing else to do you could open up the YZ and check the valves only to realize that they haven't moved, then bolt it back together and start kicking yourself for all the years that you spent with the CRF250. This is assuming proper maintenance (oil changes, airfilters).

Ive heard that when they get hot and u stall or crash or whatever that when you go to kick it over that they (450s in general) can be really hard to start. Is this just a myth or does it have some truth to it?

It'll start right up, if it's in neutral. I've never had much luck dropping it and starting it in gear, too much clutch drag. Usually I can get it going in gear if I just stall it.

I have a 07 250 smoker as well and generally get better starts on it. With the 450 I'm either first or dead last (2+ kick start). I like the 450 for open courses and the 250 for tighter runs. You'd probably like the 250 better in NJ.

I have an '06 yz 250 set up for off road, stabilizer, susp. protective gear, Loved the bike...

Until I bought my first 4t, '08 yz 450. Still mostly stock. Lets put it this way, the 250 hasn't seen dirt, since Oct. when I bought my 450. I ride rocky technical s/t, race hare scrambles and gp's, with a little moto thrown in, and the bike is just all around easier to ride.

I raced the 450 the weekend after I bought it, and my lap times were 5 minutes faster at the end of a 3 hour national hare scramble, than they were at the beginning. Granted a little of that was getting used to the bike, however I have never been a late charger.

Maintnence I haven't found to be much more intensive than the 2t. I do however change the oil and air filter a little more frequently. 2-3 rides, as opposed to the 4-5 rides on the 250.

My $.02

Honestly man, you have to work real hard and put $$ into a YZ to make it a good HareScrambler... I did this with a 426 and 450 and Im buying a WR next time. The advantage you will have is getting the 5 speed back. The challenge is the motocross track transmission in the tight stuff. I dont know what your skill level is, but if your not on the ball with clutching in the tight stuff, your going to have a hard time. ? If you have your heart set on a YZ then here are the bare minimums I would recommend.

1. Stabilizer (I wont race without one anymore)

2. Heavier flywheel weight (serious help in the tight stuff, WR stall speeds)

3. Carb mods (tons of options now, keep that squirt duration down, helps with stalling)

4. Suspension (YZ suspension is brutal on a long HS track, soften her up)

5. Protection, ie, handgaurds, skid plates, etc.....

6. Oversize fuel tank (duh)

:applause:

Its a delima, make a YZ into a WR minus some weight, Or a WR into a YZ minus the YZ tranny..................Good Luck !! ?

Oh and as far as your 250 vs. 450.... This again I would put on your skill level, if your a true novice like I was, the 450 is going to be more of a burden than a help in the technical and steep sections. I know alot of people want to jump straight to that 450, but when your taking 5 miles of sandy wash and switchback tree trails, you quickly realize your sitting on a ton of dead weight, and it takes a toll on ya.......Just something to consider.....

The advantage you will have is getting the 5 speed back.

I don't know if you missed this, but the 5 speed came home by itself in '06. The WR trans does have a nice low 1st gear, and a lot longer top in it, though. It also sports an extra 29 pounds in stock trim. Otherwise, it is indeed a legitimate dilemma. I wish they'd let me build a new model for them, or order from a list of options.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607501

Im a pretty good rider so im pretty sure, almost positive, that i could handle it. I also know that I can deal with the endurance part of it, im in good shape. What I am most concerned with now is the maintenance but from what I have read then it shouldnt be that bad, nothing close to my crf

I feel that the bike you chose depends on they type of terrain that you are going to be racing on.The estart kicks butt on the WR.Big tank, flywheel , wide ratio trans.All pluses.The YZ450 is a great bike. The best part is the lighter weight than the WR. The WR is a heavy bike.No way around it. I have a tough time getting it up the ramp into my truck. Look at what the pros have been racing for harescrambles. The YZ250 is probably the best bike ever for an all around ride.I think you should buy that

I just got back from the NMA race the frost bite and I can tell you, I would have hated riding my 450 in that stuff.

I prefer the YZ 250 for the tight stuff, but you will need to tame that motor down.

Flywheel weight, Gnarly pipe, G-2, and maybe even retard the timing.

I made the mistake of not taming the motor down on my YZ 250, and it wore me out, even so, in the tight stuff, I was loving how light weight and flick able it was, and I could see the 450 guys having trouble keeping all that weight under control in the tight stuff.

And when it opens up, if you can twist the throttle hard enough, that motor can keep up with the 450's in all but the fasted open stuff.

The best thing would be to get both.....