Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cj650

Smog Pump????

16 posts in this topic

I have an uncorked 2003 honda xr650r and i have heard alot about the smog pump. Where is it located and is it worth getting rid of it???

It's located on the back of the right side radiator, you can see the mounting tabs on your bike. I believe only us Cali guys are lucky enough to get bikes equipped with the smog pump, other states don't have it.

All of the 07's were blessed with the smog pump. I was lucky enough to pick one up here in Indiana.:)

That's alright though...block off kit on the way.:applause:

All of the 07's were blessed with the smog pump. I was lucky enough to pick one up here in Indiana.:)

That's alright though...block off kit on the way.:applause:

Yup all 07 models and CA bikes have it. Its definatly worth removeing, helps the bike run cleaner, and the pump weights about 1-2 pounds to...

rip it off and mail it to the local tree huggers:p

Rip that POS off and mail it here......................And tell them the spotted owl you had for lunch was fantastic:lol:

California Air Resources Board

1001 "I" Street

P.O. Box 2815

Sacramento, CA 95812

Rip that POS off and mail it here......................And tell them the spotted owl you had for lunch was fantastic:lol:

1001 "I" Street

P.O. Box 2815

Sacramento, CA 95812

OMG! HAHAHA!:applause:

Now wiping beer off of my monitor, thanks hill!

The smog pump weighs that much... by itself??

Naw way. maybe all the smog junk together weighs that much

Honestly how does the smog pump affect performance? Or is it just weight savings? Does anybody actually have dyno numbers to show that there is a HP gain by removing it? I am going to remove mine because it is ugly and to lose what little weight it is, but I don't expect to gain any HP.

edit: I also hate the burping on decel.

The smog pump weighs that much... by itself??

Naw way. maybe all the smog junk together weighs that much

I still have the pump, im gona put it on a scale and take a picture of the actually weight for you guys...garentee its atleast 1 pound...includeing hoses. I may be wrong about performance gains, but i would think dirty burnt fumes going back into the airbox would effect performance:excuseme:

What other smog junk is there besides the pump to the airbox...

Air flow also. It is mounted right on the back of a radiator. It does not hurt engine porformance that I know of. It doesn't pump like the smog pumps on cars did years ago. It has a diaphram hooked up to vacuum and adds air to the exhaust help finish burning unburnt fuel in the exhaust gas. My bike never ran with it on once I got it. I stripped my bike before I started it.

Honestly how does the smog pump affect performance? Or is it just weight savings? Does anybody actually have dyno numbers to show that there is a HP gain by removing it? I am going to remove mine because it is ugly and to lose what little weight it is, but I don't expect to gain any HP.

edit: I also hate the burping on decel.

I don't think it actually affects performance in and by itself. It's just pumping fresh air into the exhaust. I think all the smog devices collectively affect performance. All the smog devices work together in some sort of way. If you disconnect one device then the engine will run kinda crappy.

It may restrict the exhaust flow a bit. But then again, the stock header do a great job themselves of restricting the exhaust flow. In fact, the headers is almost like a smog device too but can operate separately from the others. Reason being is that you have a 1 inch ID exhaust port outlet going into a header pipe that is less than 1 inch ID, maybe as little as little of 7/8 inch ID with that big weld they put in there to weld the mounting flange on the head pipe. That creates ALOT of back pressure and ALOT of Exhaust Gas Recirculation that goes back into the combustion chamber with the fresh fuel/air mixture.

Yeah I know....I digressed from the smog pump:bonk:

1001 "I" Street

P.O. Box 2815

Sacramento, CA 95812

Send it with their name and address as the return.

Also send it with about a quarter of the postage so they have to pay the postage due.

Ok there it is...the scale is reading 2 pounds with the whole pump, and all the hoses. I was also curiouse to see what the inside looked like so i got a pic of that to.

Anyway the point is its definatly worth taking off:prof:

smogpump001.jpg

smogpump002.jpg

I pulled mine off the new L this week. Not for any sort of performance change, just to get that ugly mother off the side of the bike and lose the two pounds. I can see the carburetor now! YEAH ME!

-Joe