Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matts06yzf

Whats a good way to raise my bars on 08?

15 posts in this topic

I was gonna go with the Renthal Fat Bar in the Rc High because its so close to Winham bend in protaper buts its higher. I have like 5 sets of the Windaham bend tho. Can I get some sort of risers for bars just to lift them up a little? Just need more bar height for when Im standing. Im 6'5 thanks alot guys.

For just a little lift you can put washers of the same thickness under your bar mounts. There should be enough extra thread sticking through the nut on the bottom of the clamp to fit a washer or two in there I did it with my bike and it has worked great.

I was gonna go with the Renthal Fat Bar in the Rc High because its so close to Winham bend in protaper buts its higher. I have like 5 sets of the Windaham bend tho. Can I get some sort of risers for bars just to lift them up a little? Just need more bar height for when Im standing. Im 6'5 thanks alot guys.

I have a 07 YZ and went through the same issues of looking for something to raise my bars to a height that i was happy with. Much like yourself im also tall - 6.4.

After much investigation into bars, bar clamps, washers, etc i came across the most cost effective way to do it!

what i did was buy another set of standard bar clamps (top set) and turn them upside down, and then use longer bolts to put it all back together.

This raised my bars approximatley between 3 and 4cm, and made a big difference straight away, but not all good. What it did was make it a lot more comfortable doing outrides as u standing more on your pegs. On the track it made the historic Yamaha steering issue (rake) worse!

What it does is it makes you lean back more on your seat, therefore shifting your centre of gravity, which makes steering alot harder to do, especially cornering. It made the front wheel climb the burms even more!

The steering also became very flickable which was nice for about 5 minutes until you get to the point of almost being flicked off trying to hang on whilst in the woops or trail bashing on rocks and stuff.

Basically, after receiving all forms of advice, im not to sure on the solution but what seems to be the best piece of advise, and what to me is an anti-climax is, i've got is to change my style.

This entails bending my knees and elbows more, getting my head over the bars more, as well as watching my feet positions.

So, for me, its back to the style 101 drawing board. Hope it helps.

1 person likes this

I nabbed some Pastrana FMX Bars, the height helped ALOT BUT the Sweep on the bars for me is a little much and causes your elbows to go down and the front end to become real flicky like Claude said.. I like them more then the stock ones, but im still searching for the perfect solution as well, the Stock Bar Position is just too low for me and im almost 6,1...

So im still searching as well for that perfect feel..

I have a 07 YZ and went through the same issues of looking for something to raise my bars to a height that i was happy with. Much like yourself im also tall - 6.4.

After much investigation into bars, bar clamps, washers, etc i came across the most cost effective way to do it!

what i did was buy another set of standard bar clamps (top set) and turn them upside down, and then use longer bolts to put it all back together.

This raised my bars approximatley between 3 and 4cm, and made a big difference straight away, but not all good. What it did was make it a lot more comfortable doing outrides as u standing more on your pegs. On the track it made the historic Yamaha steering issue (rake) worse!

What it does is it makes you lean back more on your seat, therefore shifting your centre of gravity, which makes steering alot harder to do, especially cornering. It made the front wheel climb the burms even more!

The steering also became very flickable which was nice for about 5 minutes until you get to the point of almost being flicked off trying to hang on whilst in the woops or trail bashing on rocks and stuff.

Basically, after receiving all forms of advice, im not to sure on the solution but what seems to be the best piece of advise, and what to me is an anti-climax is, i've got is to change my style.

This entails bending my knees and elbows more, getting my head over the bars more, as well as watching my feet positions.

So, for me, its back to the style 101 drawing board. Hope it helps.

Thats some of the best advice I have ever gotten on TT and ya know it makes alot of sense. I was watching one of Gary Baileys videos last night and he is a pretty tall guy and in his bike setup vid he is all against raising bar height. Basically said same thing as you did that we need to change our style. That When you raise your bar height it makes it alot more comfortable but in turn your body is not where it needs to be on the bike. Thanks alot and some gas for you:applause:

Claude makes a good point as to risers of any kind; they move the bars back slightly as well as up.

The earlier remark about the sweep of the Pastrana FMX bars is inaccurate. That bar sweeps only 55mm, which is the same as most others, and less than any of the CR bends. They are an inch narrower, though, and that could be what the rider is picking up on.

The KX High bend is nearly the same height as the Pastrana, and is a full width bar.

Thats some of the best advice I have ever gotten on TT and ya know it makes alot of sense. I was watching one of Gary Baileys videos last night and he is a pretty tall guy and in his bike setup vid he is all against raising bar height. Basically said same thing as you did that we need to change our style. That When you raise your bar height it makes it alot more comfortable but in turn your body is not where it needs to be on the bike. Thanks alot and some gas for you:applause:

Hey matt i put a set of Applied mounts on my 06 that were 10mm taller...what a difference.

... When you raise your bar height it makes it alot more comfortable but in turn your body is not where it needs to be on the bike.
Interestingly, when the bars are too low, the bike tends to push the front more. MXA noted this about the '06 when it first came out. Yamaha raised the bend 8mm the next year.

I am a 6'2" rider. On my '08, I just recently rotated the stock bars forward, 1 marking increment. I was finding that with the stock bars in the center location, the sweep and position of the bars, was causing me to have trouble getting my elbows up when transitioning from sitting to standing.

Rolling them forward, took a little getting used to. What it did was re position them, so that some of the sweep is removed, and it raised the ends of the bars up minutely. Now that I am used to it, it is much better, I find myself standing alot more, and not having an issue with the transition.

I wanted to try and make the stock bars work, before I went and started experimenting with bar bends. My '06 yz 250 I have a sub mount gpr on it, so there is no way to transition the bars.

I am really starting to like the lower bars.

:applause:

Interestingly, when the bars are too low, the bike tends to push the front more. MXA noted this about the '06 when it first came out. Yamaha raised the bend 8mm the next year.

Thats why i put the +10mm mounts on my 06. Big difference! Able to move around up underneath the bars with my knees.

Hey matt i put a set of Applied mounts on my 06 that were 10mm taller...what a difference.

Where do I get them, hell worth a try hook me up with a link or pm me where you got these thanks alot. If not ill look to tomorrow my fiance wants me to come to bed and dirt bikes is the last thing im thinking about right now.