R vs L

Like hill5150 said, all you would be is a switch hitter!

There is no reason to own a XR650L if you have a plate on a XR650R. If you want another bike get a CRF450R or CR250R

I can't believe that this question is always asked when there is much informaition about the bikes on the net.

If I had me some o' that cali wide-open terrain, I'd be on an R too, probably.

Gotta find me an R rider out this way, see how one of those things does crawling through the trailless woods when its about 95 out...

Dave

Null. Void. Does not compute. Does not compute.

What is that pesky thing hanging off the rear fender of my bike.... :applause:

It looks like a cheap mud flap................I heard a rumor that R riders dont like to get muddy . ?

My neighbor and riding pard just picked up a nice R model that was plated in Vermont. Apparently it's easier to plate a R there than here in good ole' New York state ?

P

Apparently it's easier to plate a R there than here in good ole' New York state ?

P

Yeah, you have to pull some trickery to get an R plated in NY...you have to have the bike plated in another state, then you can do a title transfer...its really a stupid system thats relatively easy to beat and simply severs as a mild annoyance....

I moved back to NY from Texas about a year ago, but I still ride with my TX plate...its very easy to plate one of these down there. I'm going to be moving back down there in a few months so I never bothered to transfer the registration or insurance (my gf still lives down there, so I use that address)

I've been pulled over several times in NY, but the cops dont really know what to make of it ...they never see street legal dirt bikes... "Is that thing legal??" "yes officer, theres the plate, the registration and my insurance" ...They dont really press the issue to hard, would you if you were making over 100G a year to drive a patrol car?

How do the old 600Rs compare the the 650Rs and 650Ls? i found one of them already street legal and tagged for 1500.

better than a L i never rode a r. my friend has one that he never rides but refuses to sell. its a good solid torquey bike and 50lbs lighterand its faster than a stock L. if its in decent shape buy it in a heartbeat.

I would say more then half of the 'R' bikes on this forum have plates! Even those that race their bikes and do not have the plate on the bike. I know of three Sportsmens class Baja racers that race with plates on their bikes and a ton more that race distric #37. I am sure that it is closer to 80% of the XR650R's have plates on the bikes that are ridden alot by the owners. Sure there are all kinds of bikes out there that someone bought but, do not ride. Just got the bike to be cool or ride with friends that ride, then after crashing their first ride it got parked in the garage waiting to be sold. Other then the majic button, an extra fifty pound, and suspension that truely sucks, the 'L' doesn't have anything on the 'R'.

Ok, maybe a cup holder for the Latte' from starbucks:p

Hey your right:thinking: .. thats why we have passenger pegs because we always get the hot ladies to ride... While the R guys are out solo playing with these :applause: ...

It's the lost puppy syndrome...chix hop on with "L" guys because they feel sorry for them.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoveCreek

Just purchased an used 2001 XR650R and watched the gentleman that sold it start it on two separate days and did it once myself but now unable to start is myself without suffering an heart attack. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

From JDUBB75

I can sympathize with you on this. I picked up a new 07 a few weeks ago and it has about killed me, but I think I finally have it figured out.

Here's what I do:

1.) Pull the decomp and slowly kick thru 2 or 3 times

2.) Move choke to full & give the idle (throttle stop) screw a little over 1 full turn to increase idle

3.) Kick thru to find tdc, pull decomp and kick about 2"

4.) Let kickstarter return to top, man up and kick all the way thru

5.) If it still won't start assume the fetal position and dream of owning an 'L'

While I kick, I squeeze the front brake lever. This prevents me from giving it any throttle. After it warms a little you can back the idle back down to normal.

My bike usually starts on the first or second kick, following this procedure.

Like Thumpmeister said, if you do a search you will find all kinds of info on this topic. I read a lot of different posts and just adapted a little from each. After a little practice, you will have it down to a science.

ALRIGHT i challenge any of you R owners to a race..............Me vs You!!!!!!!!

Who wants some of the grey goose??????

LOL how did i miss all this fun, i know im the biggest arse on here and can make the most rude comments, noone can live up to my rep!!!