Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
_JoNeS_

oil change help on yzf450 2006

19 posts in this topic

about to do oil change/oil filter change on my yzf450 2006 for first time (only had bike a week). Just checking Im using the right things:

-12mm socket for oil drain plugs

-5mm allen key for oil filter cover/case

Im also going to spray the threads of the oil filter bolts with brake cleaner to remove dirt before putting them back in, I read in one of the sticky threads this should help prevent stripping threads etc ?

And I am to put 1litre of oil in if I do oil filter at same time according to manual ?

In my local shop the guy said something about pushing the kick start down slowly or something to remove oil from somewhere (something to do with cam) I think he said ???? Ive had a look in the manual and it dosen't seem to say anything about this perharps some of you guys will know ?

Sorry if any of this has been asked before Just trying to make sure I do all the stuff right as Ive come off 2-strokes. cheers guys

Don't worry about all that! Just remove the drain plugs and let it drain.. The only way to get ALL the oil out is to let it drain for a month!!! Good luck.

Remove the dipstick prior to draining the oil tank (left side plug), or it won't drain.

You'll need a box end wrench ( I believe you call them ring spanners) for the right side, as a socket won't fit.

Yes to the 1 liter with a filter change.

yeah I planned on taking the dipstick and the oil filler one out as it said that in the manual ! cheers for the quick replys fellas, so both sides are defo 12 mm. and yeah we call them spanners !

here a couple of things I did for my 1st oil change:

1- warm the bike up about 2 mins

2- drain oil first / then remove/drain filter compartment

3- use a clean rag to clean inside where the oil filter goes... there will be a lot of metal particles from the break-in settled there

4- refill with 1 liter of oil, work the kick starter slowly 1st to get the oil moving a bit, then start and idle for 2 mins --> Check oil level

OMG folks it's not rocket science.... it's just an oil change and you dont have to remove the dipstick to drain the oil! The whole sequence is done in a matter of 10 min:prof:

OMG folks it's not rocket science.... it's just an oil change and you dont have to remove the dipstick to drain the oil! The whole sequence is done in a matter of 10 min:prof:
No, it isn't rocket science, but it's a good deal more complex than a simple wet sump drain and fill thing, and an alarming number of people manage to foul it up anyway.

And you do, in fact, need to remove the dipstick to get the oil to drain from the tank in any reasonable amount of time, or at least that's how all of them I have done have been, including both of my own.

i always warm my bike up to help thin the oil out a little so it doesn't get caught in little crevices and won't be so slow to come out

removing the dip stick and oil filler is only to help the flow of oil and speed it up which equates to faster oil change. sure you don't have to do it but why not do it to speed it up?

No intent to hijack the thread here. Just a quick question regarding oil filters. Gray, do you know if 06 Scotts SS filters will fit 08s? Just ordered them for my son's 2008 YZ 250F and my 2008 YZ 450F respectively. They didn't list the 08 YZs on the order form. It only listed as recent as 06 so that's what I ordered. Thanks for any info. --RR

No intent to hijack the thread here. Just a quick question regarding oil filters. Gray, do you know if 06 Scotts SS filters will fit 08s? Just ordered them for my son's 2008 YZ 250F and my 2008 YZ 450F respectively. They didn't list the 08 YZs on the order form. It only listed as recent as 06 so that's what I ordered. Thanks for any info. --RR
Yes, and this is one of the reasons we have a search feature here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607908

One time I tried to change the oil without taking the dipstick out and no oil would come out of the oil tank (that scared me for a minute as it was the first drain bolt I took out and for a second I thought it had no oil in it). A soon as I cracked the dipstick loose the oil started coming out.

One more tip that will help in the long run. If you don't mind the mess, loosen the oil filter bolts but leave the bottom one in and pull the cover away from the case. This will let the oil run down the side of the engine. The reason for doing this is to keep oil and small metal shavings from going in the drain hole that leads to the bottom bolt hole. This is what causes the threads to get messed up. If you do take the bottom bolt out all the way, spray contact cleaner in the hole or use a q-tip with a little grease on it to wipe the hole out and clean the threads in the hole.

how much oil do you guy fill up on the 08 (with and with out filter change)?

sorry for jacking:)

One time I tried to change the oil without taking the dipstick out and no oil would come out of the oil tank (that scared me for a minute as it was the first drain bolt I took out and for a second I thought it had no oil in it). A soon as I cracked the dipstick loose the oil started coming out.

One more tip that will help in the long run. If you don't mind the mess, loosen the oil filter bolts but leave the bottom one in and pull the cover away from the case. This will let the oil run down the side of the engine. The reason for doing this is to keep oil and small metal shavings from going in the drain hole that leads to the bottom bolt hole. This is what causes the threads to get messed up. If you do take the bottom bolt out all the way, spray contact cleaner in the hole or use a q-tip with a little grease on it to wipe the hole out and clean the threads in the hole.

sorry if I sound daft but I tried this yesterday, I take it you mean loosen the lower allen bolt quite a bit but not so much to expose any threads, but enough to be able to slide the cover back ?, and completely remove top two. Then the oil should come out (it didn't really all come out when I tried this , Im guessing you have to lean the bike over or something ? (so I ended up taking the bottom one all way out to get all oil out of there. You have to remove the bottom one anyway right to get the oil filter out ? well I did :smirk: . After I have removed them all I sprayed the threads out and threads of the bolts with brake cleaner and re installed them.

Yes you do have to take the bottom bolt out to remove the filter. I just let the majority of the oil run out before I take the bottom bolt out all the way. I have found that this tends to keep slight metal shavings from staying in the threads of the bottom bolt hole and messing them up.