HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
F2504X4PS

dave's mods and a question????

19 posts in this topic

Got my carb out to do dave's mods today and all was stock and normal until i removed the needle, it is a clip type (not the one in dave's pics) and i was wondering if that's normal, if it is then i need to know what ring the little clip should be in and would i still need to shim it?????

Thanks guy's

Steve.

1998 XR650L

Got my carb out to do dave's mods today and all was stock and normal until i removed the needle, it is a clip type (not the one in dave's pics) and i was wondering if that's normal, if it is then i need to know what ring the little clip should be in and would i still need to shim it?????

Thanks guy's

Steve.

1998 XR650L

Its def. not the stock needle. What jets were in it?

Dave

It might be a DJET needle. If the jets are screwed in by a slot screwdriver, they are DJET jets.

Ok, the carb P/N is VE85C, it's a keihin, the jets I pulled out were a 50/165 and are slotted, the needle has 6 slots with a clip on the third slot, the slide has not been drilled to 5/32 and the mixture screw stop tab was still there.

:applause:

Thanks, Steve.

Ok, the carb P/N is VE85C, it's a keihin, the jets I pulled out were a 50/165 and are slotted, the needle has 6 slots with a clip on the third slot, the slide has not been drilled to 5/32 and the mixture screw stop tab was still there.

:applause:

Thanks, Steve.

That sounds like a Dynojet kit. Needle clip is in the right position, dont try to shim it. The pilot jet is stock Keihin. A 55 pilot would suit you better , assuming you are below 3500 ft. Grind the tab off of the float bowl to give yourself some fuel screw adjustment... ABout 2 1/2 turns to start. You can drill the slide if you want. I did with my DJET kit and had great throttle response.

Has the airbox snorkel been removed? Do you have a better flowing exhaust? Foam air filter? Having any driveability issues?

i'm doing the airbox with dave's carb mods, has a header with a yoshi pipe, uni air filter and i'm at 1000 ft.

another odd thing is the needle also has a shim/washer laying on top of the clip ring......

i'm doing the airbox with dave's carb mods, has a header with a yoshi pipe, uni air filter and i'm at 1000 ft.

another odd thing is the needle also has a shim/washer laying on top of the clip ring......

I just took my old CV keihin apart with the djet kit. It has the same washer on top the clip as you mention.

Why not just leave the djet kit in and drill the slide? That needle has adifferent taper, more rich after 1/4 throttle. May suit your needs better than the stock gradual tapered needle(leaner).

Judging by the needle, I was.

The jets, ok. Its been so long since I took the stock jets out of the stock carb, Ijust have the picture of my FCR jets burned in my mind.

yeah those should be the long hex for main, i have a little assortment of some short hex dont know when i accumilated them but there in with all the others, have some wierd pilots also

so with all other mods done (dave's carb mods also) ya'll think the needle clip on the 3rd slot with no shim will put it the correct position?

so with all other mods done (dave's carb mods also) ya'll think the needle clip on the 3rd slot with no shim will put it the correct position?

Absolutely. I tried the 2nd and 4th slots on mine with each being worse than the 3rd.

Dont forget, there is a shim that goes on TOP of the clip.

third clip it will be, all the mods are done, snorkle, smog pump gone, etc...etc... soon as my jets come in at my local stealership i can put it all back together, oh something funny.... the spark plugs looks to be orginal equ. (10k miles) LOL.

As an FYI, I did Dave's mods last summer. First ride of 2012 and I'm thrilled. It has always been cold blooded but not anymore. Yay!

ramey