Wr 2007 oil level inspection???

Has any of you guys got any tips for checking the oil level on my 07 wr 450?

I start the bike, let it idle for a few minutes then check the dipstick. Then un tighten the 8mm hexagon drain bolt to drain the oil.

Once the oil is drained is this the required level?

I am having problems with the dipstick check because the oil is new and i can not see the level properly. Also the there is not much differnce between overfill and the correct level, with the dipstick being so small.

Any tips would be much apprecirated.

So what is the drain bolt for? Obviously to drain oil but when the oil stops draining is that the required level?

I think the drain bolt you are reffering to is a oil level check for the gearbox. It is located on the side by the countershaft sprocket about a inch and a half from the bottom. Yes, run it, check the stick and pull the bolt if you want. There should be oil there just not streaming out.

I think the drain bolt you are reffering to is a oil level check for the crankcase. It is located on the side by the countershaft sprocket about a inch and a half from the bottom. Yes, run it, check the stick and pull the bolt if you want. There should be oil there just not streaming out.

Yeah, thats the bolt i mean. Is this an over check of the oil level?

Yeah, thats the bolt i mean. Is this an over check of the oil level?

Yes, after you run it and check the dipstick for the oil tank, you should pull that bolt and verify the gearbox level is not too high. With the bike level pull the bolt to remove the excess oil and your'e good to go.

I'd refrain from pulling any bolts unless really needed. Always added a litre with a filter change and never had an issue with the level. Each time you do this, you run the risk of damaging threads, etc. My bike certainly carries a load of dirt around that area, despite regular cleaning. I may be wrong.

Unscrew the dipstick, wipe it clean, drop it in (do not tighten it back up) and pull it out quickly to take a look. You should be able to see a clear line indicating the oil depth. Agreed on visibility - the color of the 02 model dipstick made it much easier to see.

I'd refrain from pulling any bolts unless really needed. Always added a litre with a filter change and never had an issue with the level. Each time you do this, you run the risk of damaging threads, etc. My bike certainly carries a load of dirt around that area, despite regular cleaning. I may be wrong.

Unscrew the dipstick, wipe it clean, drop it in (do not tighten it back up) and pull it out quickly to take a look. You should be able to see a clear line indicating the oil depth. Agreed on visibility - the color of the 02 model dipstick made it much easier to see.

Yes, keep the oil changed often and put in the correct amount and you'll be ok. But if you add to much when your level is low, that is an easy way to correct it.

07 is different from 02 i think, my 07 uses around 1.2litres with an oil and filter change,I give it a good drain, pull the clutch and lean from side to side to help drainoil.

Pour in the oil, tighten dipstick and filler plug .

Run bike on level stand or similiar ,wait 30 seconds then check dipstick, if full then unscrew check bolt add or drain oil from gearbox till it stops coming out check bolt,

Reckeck dipstick again if low (dry sump on 07 drains slowly)repeat entire procedure till both dipstick and check bolt are both on level.The more you change the oil the the more you will get used to this.

Dont overtighten the check bolt and replace the copper washer often to help avoid stripping the bolt.

Hope this helps

then unscrew check bolt add or drain oil from gearbox till it stops coming out check bolt,

Reckeck dipstick again if low (dry sump on 07 drains slowly)repeat entire procedure till both dipstick and check bolt are both on level.The more you change the oil the the more you will get used to this.

Dont overtighten the check bolt and replace the copper washer often to help avoid stripping the bolt.

Hope this helps

Is the check bolt and drain bolt not the same bolt???

I understand about making the dipstick level correct bu how can you make the check bolt level correct???

Is the check bolt and drain bolt not the same bolt???

I understand about making the dipstick level correct bu how can you make the check bolt level correct???

The check bolt is the 8mm headed bolt about 1 1/2" up from the bottom of the left side case just in front of the countershaft. The drain bolts I think are 10mm or 12mm heads. They do all have copper washers that I also like to change often.

The check bolt is the 8mm headed bolt about 1 1/2" up from the bottom of the left side case just in front of the countershaft. The drain bolts I think are 10mm or 12mm heads. They do all have copper washers that I also like to change often.

Yeah, thats what i thought. Cheers.

Also today when i checked oil level, i started bike, let run for a couple of minutes, checked dipstick while bike was on level. Everything was fine, but put the dipstick back in to double check level and the level was too high.

If i check the oil staright after shutting the bike off, is this the correct level or should i wait and give time for the oil to settle???

Thanx in advance!

You need to wait till it goes level as it drains down slowly, and then have the gearbox level at the same time the dipstick is level.

It gets easier after a few changes till you think nothing of it and get it done fairly quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

I check it right after I shut it off. There are times if I don't let it run long enough it shows over full. Then I'll restart for 5 minutes or so and recheck it. I very rarely have to add between oil changes. My Brothers X needs oil every 150 miles. WR 450's rule.?

I check it right after I shut it off. There are times if I don't let it run long enough it shows over full. Then I'll restart for 5 minutes or so and recheck it. I very rarely have to add between oil changes. My Brothers X needs oil every 150 miles. WR 450's rule.?

Is this the correct method to check the oil?