Maybe the ultimate cheap exhaust mod for XR650L

Ok, I wanted to stay stock but you guys have turned me over to the dark side. Jets and a Unifilter are on the way (thanks Dave and Brian). I can't afford an aftermarket exhaust right now so I have been experimenting with the stock exhaust to get more flow without the "firecrackers-in-a-stovepipe" sound that accompanies almost all attempts to replace the baffle/spark arrestor from the stock XRL muffler with something that flows better. After NUMEROUS failed attemps :foul: (I've tried everything) I think I may have hit on something significant.

I walked into my local cycle outlet today and saw on the close-out shelf a "Pro Moto Large Silent Insert" which fits their aftermarket end caps for various bikes. A light bulb went off in my head and I picked it up for $13 and change - 60% off. :banghead: I came home, removed the stock baffle/spark arrestor (which I had already ground the small weld off of), and it was just a bit too big to fit. ? I brain-stormed a few minutes and then clamped my 4 1/2" grinder into my vise, stuck the insert over a broomstick, and let it spin on the grinding wheel. In 20 minutes I had it fitting perfectly.

Then I removed the small inspection plate (or whatever it is) from under the tail pipe, drilled a small hole through the inner sleeve (or whatever it is called) and through the bottom of the new baffle. Then I popped a small sheet metal screw through both to keep it in place, replaced the small inspection cover, and took it for a ride.

The bike breaths much better and the sound is SWEET. A little louder than stock but not as sharp and tingy as any thing else I have tried. Just enough noise to set you apart in a crowd without offending anyone. It looks AWESOME too. Maybe the best 13 bucks I have ever spent on a bike. I am going to replace the screw with a rivet and stick with this mod for a while. I can't wait to get Dave's and Brian's Mods complete so I can rip it up!

XR650L owners on a budget should check these out. Google the words "Pro Moto Large Silent Insert" and go till you find a good photo. The picture on Pro Moto's site stinks. I found them for $28. There is also a "small silent insert" and several "bike specific" ones, so don't confuse them. After all I've been through, I think it is still the most economical and easy exhaust mod I know of that works, looks, and sounds good (to me anyway) - even at full price.

I am no expert. ? So don't sue me or chastise me if you can't make it fit, or your bike grenades, or it actually costs you horsepower, or you hate the sound, or you think it is ugly, or even if you just think this is a lousy idea. It SEEMS to work great on my Pig though. I would GLADLY pay full price for another one and just thought others might want to know about this option. :applause:

CHEERS!

Pics would be cool!

I'll work on that. I haven't moved completely into the digital photography age yet. ? I'll see if my 12 year old can scan a photo and put it up but it will take a few days to take one and get it developed. I really should get a digital camera I guess.

It really does look cool though. There are good pictures of the part on the internet for those who want to see it and go through the trouble to find it. It is made of shiny billet, has no paint, and is the one with a large hole in the center with sixteen (I counted them) 1/4" or so holes around the perimeter. It also has a "lip" that keeps it from dissappearing into the pipe - some don't have this lip. It may be called "old style" also. The part# on my package is LGINSERT. It countersinks into the end of the XRL's the tail pipe and almost looks factory. You don't have to grind on anything that shows either. Every time I ride it I like the mod a little more. :applause:

I'll work on that. I haven't moved completely into the digital photography age yet. :applause: I'll see if my 12 year old can scan a photo and put it up but it will take a few days to take one and get it developed. I really should get a digital camera I guess. :

LOL get a camera ya crazy man!!! Your teasing us you know this right?? Good write up and enjoy the gains from your air filter and jetting mods. You doing the complete daves mods to your carb??

LOL get a camera ya crazy man!!! Your teasing us you know this right?? Good write up and enjoy the gains from your air filter and jetting mods. You doing the complete daves mods to your carb??

Hi Denn - yeah... the works. Got a Clarke 4.7 tank on the way too. :applause:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting that pic fitpays. It is no fun being a total computer nincompoop. :confused:

When you anchor it, use a small, short, hex-head sheet metal screw. Make sure to drill your hole as far back as you can. The insert is shorter than it seems when you are drilling into it from underneath. Turn the the one small hole that has threads towards the bottom and align it with your anchor screw for a better bite. It helps if you only shave the insert to a "snug" fit. It is ok if you need to lightly "tap" it in with a rubber mallet. Test fit it often during the shaving (grinding) process. If the inside end of your exhaust has sharp edges that point inward, just use a half-round file to round it off a bit for ease of install. It will only cover about half of the 2 small bolt holes but, as you can see in the pics, it isn't very noticeable.

Good luck. It worked great for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This mods looks good, but do you still have the spark arrestor fonction?

Will it still be legal as a USFS spark arrestor? Can the patroller put a stick thru the muffler and say it is not legal?

Thanks for your help!!!

It will not be USFS approved and will not pass the "broomstick up the kiester" test. I keep my stock baffle/spark arrestor, which is approved, and the stock mounting screws in my tail bag with the tool kit in case it becomes necessary. I can swap them in a few minutes on the trail with the Honda tool kit. I was going to rivet it in place permanently but that has proven to be unecessary since, after 600 HARD miles, it is still with me and has shown no signs of loosening. The stock baffle has some sharp edges that I simply wrapped with electrical tape to keep from damaging my bag.

You sir, are the reason why this whole page, room, chat exists! Thanks!!!!!!!!

Thanks aspect

Those who have tried it have given me nothing but positive feedback so far. Every now and then a simple solution to a complicated problem just lands in a person's lap.

?

• Like 1