Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BASSic

Front Sprocket Lock Washer

4 posts in this topic

I recently installed a new chain and sprockets on my 01 426. I re-used the old front sprocket lock washer and it was OK.

I now decided that I want to use a 13 tooth front sprocket instead. The lock washer that I already re-used is probably not going to work well again, so I went to two different Yamaha dealerships and neither one has the lock washer in stock. This surprises me because as far as I can tell, it's a common part that's used on several models covering many years.

It's just a thought, but would any other bikes happen to use the same lock washer? There are Honda , Kawasaki , and Suzuki dealerships not too far away (also Home Depot and Lowe's :applause: ). I'd like to do this tomorrow and not have to wait several days for a $2 part.

Carry it with you wherever you decide to go. You should be able to get a match somewhere.

Although not likely at Home Depot or Lowes, BUT if you have a good "Mom & Pop" Auto Parts store with a reputation for having metrics lying around...MAYBE. (an Orchard Supply Hardware store is a long shot).

Carry it with you wherever you decide to go. You should be able to get a match somewhere.

Although not likely at Home Depot or Lowes, BUT if you have a good "Mom & Pop" Auto Parts store with a reputation for having metrics lying around...MAYBE. (an Orchard Supply Hardware store is a long shot).

It's the wrong kind of washer for any hardware store to have.

Use it again. Just be sure you fold it over in a "fresh" location, away from any old folds, and it should work. Then order a couple more to have on hand.

Don't be too worried about your sprocket nut coming loose, the Yamaha design is waaaay better than KTM's bolt design; I'm surprised they even started using just a bolt, let alone continue to use that design(and they have been known to come loose). This photo is of a KTM sprocket protector, but you can see that the front sprocket is just held on by a bolt! http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktmstore/hardparts/sprockets/U6907890.JPG