Kenzo

XR650L kickstand safety bypass & removal

31 posts in this topic

did a search but couldn't find wut i wus looking for...

i want to bypass AND remove the kickstand safety and associated wiring/hardware...cud someone point me in the right direction or provide instructions?

i haven't opened the case where the wires enter yet but since i'm new to XR's i'm waiting for the maintence/repair manual to arrive before i have at it on my own.

TIA,

kenny

I believe if you connect the clutch safety switch wires together it will bypass all safeties.

if your not looking to get rid of the switch then just take off kickstand and zip tie switch out of the way. Might be alot more hassle than its worth to completely eliminate the wire and switch. Just an option though.

I believe if you connect the clutch safety switch wires together it will bypass all safeties.

You have to connect them both to ground to bypass all the safeties. Tying them together just bypasses the clutch switch.

Dave

You have to connect them both to ground to bypass all the safeties. Tying them together just bypasses the clutch switch.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave.

You have to connect them both to ground to bypass all the safeties

Just curious, how do you do that? Where do you ground the wires?

Just be careful bypassing the clutch safety....

Had a friend crash on a huge hill in the Hatfield-McCoys on his L, Crushed Throttle tube so it hung open, accidentally hit the ebutton turning the bike around...

Ghost ride all the way down till impact w/ said Tree:bonk:

Just be careful bypassing the clutch safety....

Had a friend crash on a huge hill in the Hatfield-McCoys on his L, Crushed Throttle tube so it hung open, accidentally hit the ebutton turning the bike around...

Ghost ride all the way down till impact w/ said Tree:bonk:

Yeah, I'm not really a big fan of fully bypassing everything, but when you need to debug or bypass to get home, its good to know!

Dave

Dave

So if I understand this right, ground both wires and it will eliminate the Nuetral switch also? I am currently having fits with my nuetral switch killing the bike while I am riding.

Rob

Just follow the wires from the switch to the the plug that they plug into. Then you can put a jumper wire across the two pins that need to be closed. That way you keep the clutch switch. Works like a champ.

1 person likes this

Just follow the wires from the switch to the the plug that they plug into. Then you can put a jumper wire across the two pins that need to be closed. That way you keep the clutch switch. Works like a champ.

yup...i followed the wires up to the plug under the seat...tried unplugging no-go.

soooo...reinstalled the plug cut it off with about an inch of the wires remaining...after a simple test soldered the two green wires together then heat-shrinked and it's gud to go...simply unscrew the switch to remove the wiring...

lost maybe 1/4-1/2 lbs of weight and won't be left stranded by a faulty kickstand switch:thumbsup:

:smirk:

1 person likes this

good info there kenzo prolly someone else wanting to do this so now they know how to do it.

OK.....I gotta ask.....Why would u wanna by pass the safetys anyways????

I just dont get it......i've never ever had an issue(safetys) with all my bikes period.

Its just simple peace of mind for some guys. One less thing to worry about.

Its like when carry several tools with you, you'll never need them!!

OK.....I gotta ask.....Why would u wanna by pass the safetys anyways????

I just dont get it......i've never ever had an issue(safetys) with all my bikes period.

i'm an ex-engineer/sales guys turned restaurateur, located a stones throw from the Johnson Space Center...

"...what ain't there can't break." :)

:smirk:

...after a simple test soldered the two green wires together then heat-shrinked and it's gud to go...
"...what ain't there can't break." :worthy:

Thanks for the info......... :lol:

and thats why I removed it also:banana:

1 person likes this

I was riding in Death Valley and kicked up a rock that took out the kick stand safety switch on my KTM 950 Adventure. I was lucky to have read an article about how to over ride the switch. A few minutes of wire stripping and I was back on the road. Keep the switch, just know how to over ride it when needed.