HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Itchykawa

Dave's Mods - anyone tried just DRILLING their jets?

19 posts in this topic

I have done it on 2-strokes in the 80's and used to have a set of bits designed especially for this task. It worked great. Why wouldn't it work on an XRL instead of buying jets to perform Dave's Mods?

I am a bit confused by the different ones (long, short, etc). I will certainly get the wrong ones if I try to order them. Lady Luck totally abandons me when I order things. :applause:

Better yet, can someone tell me with certainty where to buy the jets from someone familiar with Dave's Mods who will know exactly what I need and won't screw it all up?

Thanks

Better yet, can someone tell me with certainty where to buy the jets from someone familiar with Dave's Mods who will know exactly what I need and won't screw it all up?

If you still have the stock Keihin CV, Keihin does have a jet kit for it. You just need to know what altitudes you plan on riding in and they have kits with the corresponding jets.

Look around the web a bit and you might find it. I did a couple of weeks ago.

As much as my bike ran better with the DynoJet kit, I would rather have the Keihin kit. I got the DynoJet Kits with a deal when I ordered 2 sets of headers from FMF racing. The headers totally sucked:thumbsdn: They leaked really bad and they looked like crap. :applause: I sent the headers back but kept the DynoJet kits(kinda wishin I sent them back too).

I wouldn't recommend drilling out your jets either.

I have done some custom jet drilling in the past.It was on a del'orto carb that was hard to get jets for.

You can use a set of drills that refidge techs use but they are 100.$$ for the drills.

why guess and drill a jet when for a couple of bucks you can get the right ones. a Good starting point is a 55 pilot and 158 main, go from there for your altitude etc, Dynojet kit is expensive for what is in it and you still need to change the pilot to a 55.

for the couple dollars they cost i wouldnt drill, you will never get it drilled to the correct diameter than your shooting for.

LOL never seen those as my first bikes were mid 80s CRs, where did they have those?? Sound like they sucked though

I drilled my main jet with success. However I have alot of drill sizes available #, fractional, letter, metric, whatever so I was able to find the size I needed. Plus I've done in the past.

Buying them is the best but in my case at the time I needed the jets, all the places I went did not have the size I wanted. Also I didn't feel like waiting 5 days lead time.

I never drilled jets, but I did ream 'em with an acetylene torch tip cleaner.

Always worked great, you just don't know what size it actually is.

Dave

Got mine from service honda. . Cheap, fast delivery because they come in an envelope... And i'd start w/ a 158 main and the short 55 pilot...

Got mine from service honda. . Cheap, fast delivery because they come in an envelope... And i'd start w/ a 158 main and the short 55 pilot...

Any chance you could mention the Honda part numbers you used when placing the order, and how much the jets cost?

Thanks.

d.

Yeah if you can't get the jet you want do it,but always write down what the jet is and when you can get the jet you need take out the drilled one and mark it,put it in the experimental pile of jets.

I have used # drill bits to drill jets,and I have also used the torch tip cleaner to hone them in the past.I would agree with most,It is better to just buy the jets.

Remember,A 2 flute drill bit will NOT make a perfect round hole.

Does anyone remember plastic jets?

I hated those things.

I remember them! I thought it was a blank that you had to drill, untill i looked closer.

Remember,A 2 flute drill bit will NOT make a perfect round hole.

It will also make the hole bigger than the actual drill size. Only way to get a good accurate hole through the jet is to ream it.

I think I'm one of the few people that has an assortment of half-size increment Keihin jets with a 1/4" hex instead of whatever the stock metric hex is...

Just in case,should you ever need to resize a jet just fill it with soldering tin and redrill.I used to do this on my old air cooled vws.jmtc