New (used) bike

i am upgrading from a 2002 yz250f and am looking at either a yz426f or yz450f of pretty much any year. i am more interested in the yz426 just because it receives a green sticker, out in ca 2003 and beyond mx bikes get a red sticker. i am wondering how those two bikes compare in all aspecs; and also i am wondering if anyone who is a resident in ca but has a residency in another state has registered there bike in the other state to be able to ride all year long here in california

i am upgrading from a 2002 yz250f and am looking at either a yz426f or yz450f of pretty much any year. i am more interested in the yz426 just because it receives a green sticker, out in ca 2003 and beyond mx bikes get a red sticker. i am wondering how those two bikes compare in all aspecs; and also i am wondering if anyone who is a resident in ca but has a residency in another state has registered there bike in the other state to be able to ride all year long here in california

Guess you better stick with the 426 because of the sticker issue.

You should be happy with the power of a 426 . . . maybe a better all-around powerband than the explosive (comparitively speaking) '03 450. And the 426 has a 5-speed tranny. The '03 - '05 450's are 4 speeds, so top speed is a little bit slower I've heard.

Suspension-wise, I'm guessing the newer years get progressively better.

The YZ426 is pretty much the same bike as you 02 YZ250F with a bigger motor. In fact most of the parts will go from bike to bike. If you like the way your 250F rides you will like the 426.

so does anyone have any info on the california out of state registration?

The military are allowed to register "out of state", but as I recall, if you are a resident, and are in the state longer than 30 days, you are required to register in California. Check at Cal DMV

The only sure fire work around CA nazi law is to beg, borrow, steal a Baja kit/e-line kit. Install, register with DMV once plated. uninstall kit so it does not get broke. And ride plated. I lived in NV and always found myself in CA teritory. As long as I had a plated and insured 300 a year. I never was bothered. Had many friends walk, yes walk away with thier bikes and a 600 dollar ticket. on one occaision one friend lost his bike (2006 crf250) due to his previous tickets. If in CA plate it!! no worries, no stickers!!

If in CA plate it!! no worries, no stickers!!
Those days are gone. It is no longer possible to directly convert a non-street legal ride to street in California and get a plate. The only hope you have is to get the bike plated and registered in any other state and then transfer it here. That may not work as well as it once did, either.

heres the thing i live in california, however i own a house in oregon. so im thinking i could register in oregon and pay the 25$ or however much it is to get a out of state registration for each year

That will only work if Oregon will consider you a resident for the purpose of registration or allow you an out of state reg. Then, the bike would need to be street legal plated in Oregon to be treated as a green sticker bike.