HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
simica

E Button/Kill Button Info

3 posts in this topic

I don't know if this has ever been discussed before but recently during a practice lap before a race, my '05 WR 450 suddenly started running poorly, missing and back firing to the point it finally stopped running and wood not restart.* Had to use my son's bike for the race.

Back home it took me a while to figure out the problem.* When I turned on the "on" switch, the bike would try to start.* When it did start, I could hear the starter motor spinning and the bike would run poorly.* I eventually traced the problem to the e button.* Two plus years of riding and washing corroded the inside of the switch.* Unplugged the e button and the bike ran fine again. Had to use the kick starter for a while - terrible thing.

The point of this thread.* If this ever happens to anyone during a race or on a trail ride and unplugging the e button makes the bike run again, you can use the kill button as an e button.* The plug behind the number plate is identical to the e button plug so just pull out the e button and plug in the kill button.* I am actually using a kill button now on the right side because thats all my Yamaha dealer had in stock. Just be aware that the wires are alittle shorter on the kill button.* FYI

1 person likes this

that's a nice idea. maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to put some dielectric grease on the insides of those switches.

I know on the '07 the kill and start buttons use different plugs. I broke my start button and the dealer here screwed up and ordered the kill switch.