EFI coming Yamaha's way???

I guess I'm resurrecting this thread, as I've been away from the forum for a while and haven't seen any new threads discussing this.

Since the 09 YZ and WR specs came out earlier this year, I guess no EFI for 09, which most likely means no EFI in the WR until 2011. I guess I was hoping to upgrade my 06 pretty soon but I guess she'll have to do for another year or two... :lame:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly! The street versions are completely different and probably compare more to a TTR 250

plus the 250f's are a five valve engine with better low end and mid range, the street legal versions, r and x are four valve engines which are more inclined to the highway speeds.

Well after seeing the FI offerings from the others I am happy to wait. All so far have fuel pump in the tank and the tank capacity is small (i.e. - Honda 450 = 1.5 gal). Granted they may get a bit better mileage but still not adequate for serious trail riding. I'm gonna holdout until the aftermarket figures out how to make a bigger tank that will accommodate the fuel pump.

Just a hunch but personally I think it will take years for EFI to evolve into putting as much throttle response and power output as the carbureted bikes do now

Oh boy! you have not ridden a fuel injected thumper then!! EFI thumpers are awesome for response and power. With fuel injection, we get to use a much bigger throttle, no venturi needed that is in a carb (the bottleneck). And the fuel metering is much more precise of all air temps and altitudes, and engine temps.

Oh boy! you have not ridden a fuel injected thumper then!! EFI thumpers are awesome for response and power. With fuel injection, we get to use a much bigger throttle, no venturi needed that is in a carb (the bottleneck). And the fuel metering is much more precise of all air temps and altitudes, and engine temps.

Cool.......I guess I'm not informed.......I will be looking forward to it but I still hesitate on buying the first year EFI out......WR that is

The FI-ed Yamaha Gen 2 FZ1 (streetbike) was notorious for having horrendous on/off throttle issues when it came out. Took 2 electronic gizmos to get that ironed out. Honda 600RR seems to have that issue resolved out of the box. Fuel Injection is great when it works. I don't know what it costs for a jet kit. $65? A PowerCommander (fuel injection black box) will set you back at least $250. Remember how choked down an out of the box WR is? What's the cure for that when they come out FI-ed? I am pretty happy with the carb on my WR450.

I agree it will be standard on all dirbikes at some point. However, I do not race the bike and my carbs and jetting are set. I have zero issues with the carb on my bike. I am not riding the bike on the edge but it does not stumble, hesitate, or have starting issues.